tail pipe

sunfire:

when i start the engine, after 15-20 minutes i start hearing a noise from the back of the car(tail pipe?)

its like the muffler is broken or something.. but not a steady noise..

when im driving, its better.. but when the engine is idle, you can hear it clearly..

what can an this be>? thanks

Reply to
d5486

when i went to an pil change shop, they checked my air filter..(maybe they didnt screw it tight enough ?? :)

i dont know if these can be relatedbut i thinnk it started making the noise after that..

Reply to
d5486

You might be hearing expansion noises from heat which would be normal.

Your muffler's interior baffles may also be rusted away and you could be hearing loose rust floating around inside.

Bang on the bottom of your muffler with a fist or rubber mallet. If you hear sounds like somethings moving around the muffler is rusting away from the inside.

Check for loose or broken anchors, connections, pipes, etc..

How old is the car / exhaust system?

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~282,025 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

What HF said, and, you may also have a small leak towards the back that exhaust forcing its way out is making a little noise. I remember I had a small leak by the cat. once. It wasn't very loud, but I could hear sort of a little vibrating hiss.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

exhaust is - i think.. at least 2years old..

i think it needs to be replaced soon..

by the way.. instead of making that noise and bothering me, can that be harmful to anything in the engine?is there a law prohibiting "mufflers thatr make stupid noises" ?

Reply to
d5486

You won't get in trouble for having a car that makes a stupid noise, but you can if it's a very very loud noise.

I think the first concern with an exhaust leak is exhaust fumes making their way into the cabin. That is if it is a leak. A bad muffler as HF suggested checking out, just makes noise.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.