TCS Off light

The TCS Off light on my wife's 98 Grand Prix GT is on every time the car is started. You can depress the switch and turn the light off and it stays off until the next time the car is shut off, then once again it will be on when restarted. We don't notice any problems driving the car but there is a noticeable order coming from the vehicle when stopped and it's a lot more obvious when it's just pulled into the garage and turned off, guessing the enclosed space intensifies the odor. It smells like something is burning or maybe I should say hot. Engine temp is normal and when the hood is opened the smell doesn't appear to be coming from anywhere inside the engine compartment. We had a total brake job done a couple thousand miles ago with new pads, turned rotors and calipers rebuilt, it was done by a private shop, not the dealer. The only reason I mention that is my wife seems to think that the light started coming on not long after that brake job. I can't imagine what could be wrong with the brakes if they are the source of the smell and sniffing around all 4 tires doesn't seem to pinpoint the smell. Rotors are really hot to the touch after just 4 or 5 miles of driving but I tried the same drive with my Dakota and the front rotors on it get hot pretty quick too. Anyone have any ideas on the Traction Control System light and what the light may be trying to tell me? Thanks

Reply to
Justme

it sounds like the brakes are dragging. I had a 2000 that I had brakes done on and i noticed problems when the rear whels started getting really dirty. I took it in and found that the metal plates that the pad material is riveted to wasn't correctly cut right so the once the pistons pushed the pads against the rotors, they stayed there. There was no play in the metal so that they could release.

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00

Thanks. You didn't mention if the TCS off light was on but I suspect it wasn't. Have any idea if that can relate to the light being on, I can understand the smell but can't seem to put the 2 together.

Reply to
Justme

The TCS is designed to shut off when the brakes overheat.

Reply to
Taz

I was not aware that brakes have temp sensors in them.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

How would it know that the brakes are hot?

Reply to
Justme