TECH:92 Grand AM Exh manifold studs!!!!

OK. Here goes. I over torqued the exhaust manifold bolts (or specifically studs) and may have crimped the new exhaust manifold gasket (FelPro #ms90559). Got replacement, will torque the 7 'bolts' to spec this time. I'd like to know what the spec(s) are for these studs. ex: thread type on ea end and SAE or Metric. Length isnt important. I can figure that out allright by myself. Id like to get replacements from ARP or similar manufacture. HI strength etc...

1992 Grand AM 'VIN 3' SOHC QUAD 4 engine. Reply 'here' and please 'same login name' AT EPIX DOT NET Thanks.
Reply to
tobyjoe

Exhaust manifold studs - 106 lb. inches Exhaust manifold nuts - 31 lb. feet.

Tightening sequence looking left to right and top to bottom:

4--2--1--7--3

---5------6---

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Thanks for the info

After looking a bit more at my HELM manual(s) I found the sequence as well.

The ELUSIVE info I am looking for is what are the thread types of the studs. WHERE can they be had? Are they metric or SAE. I'd like to replace with NEW ARP or similar studs. Cant find a part number. Calling local GM isnt always fruitful :-(

Feel free to 'e' me privately

kctobyjoe

I am also at EPIX

Dot NET

Reply to
tobyjoe

Can you take a nut off a stud and look at the nut? Metric threads look different than SAE. Will that nut fit on an appropriately sized known bolt?

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

From personal experience I can assure you that the studs and nuts are metric. Don't know the exact size, but they are likely to be M8.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

we'll go with that for starters.

I just wish I had better numbers to go by. Doubt I'd break the originals, but I know I would feel better with high tensile strength replacments in their place.

thankx

Reply to
tobyjoe

Upon further review of recommended torque for metric fasteners your studs are most likely M10x1.5 (coarse).

Reply to
Silver Surfer