Test drove 05 GTO

Hi All,

I finally test drove an 05 GTO (having driven the 04 last year). Horsepower and torque have improved to the point that the car seems "too quick". The LS2 is an amazing machine - something that wont be exceeded probably for years (see oil prices). It did lack something however (something which was an issue with the 04) - it lacked any type of sports car feeling or appeal (to me anyway). Despite the gut-wrenching acceleration, the car did not give a visceral experience. It is however a wonderful grand tourer.

Anybody else had a similar experience?

Thanks Musty.

Reply to
Musty

I own an '04 GTO, so I don't have the benefit of the LS2 or the improved brakes that the '05 model has. But I agree that the GTO feels more like a "GT" than a sports car. You sit high, for one thing. The car is quite heavy, and the steering is slower with less feedback than I'm used to. Brake pedal feel is kind of strange (at least on the '04). My former two cars were Camaro Z28s, and my GTO does not turn in as crisply, or brake as strongly, as those. But it is more comfortable and has a much nicer interior. It's closer to a plush muscle car, than something like a Vette, F-body, or Mustang.

Reply to
zmike6

Come take a ride with me, I will show you it's "sports car" feel hehe, you will want out by the time I am done! A test drive isn't enough, break it in then go do some serious romping!

Reply to
Paul Maxson

I did drive it fairly hard - reached 140mph on a 1 lane back-road (in the wet). Dont get me wrong, I think highly of the car (perhaps my words were too harsh), but I was looking for something with more of a track feel. I am not biased towards any particular type of car (since I have owned everything from turbo rotaries to V8s), but I perhaps had the wrong expectations. The term "sports car" is really very subjective.

For me, I discovered that HP is not everything (I was convinced that I would get the LS2 GTO before I drove it). Even though the GTO will accelerate as fast as an EVO MR (for example) - it does not have the same accuracy and communication to the driver. The GTO is closer to being a very high performance luxury car and the EVO MR is closer to a race car (what you define as "sports" is up to you). Having said that, something like an EVO MR is not exactly everyone cup of tea (eg super bumpy ride, no comfort features etc). The perfect blend might be something like a Mercedes Benz E55 AMG or the BMW M3 (but $$'s).

To conclude:

- I would love to take you up on the offer : I guarantee that I will not want "out". I will probably ask for more ;-)

- The GTO is the best muscle car south of $45K - the LS2 is something to be envied.

- Why oh why did they destory the front of the car with that pontiac grill - they actually broke the original line of the Holden grill.

- The wheels/tires are undersized and cheap looking. Lets see some 19's on there like the HSV GTO (Australian version).

- Cars such at the Mitsu EVO and Subie WRX-STi offer a more visceral "track-like" experience (with four doors and trunk space ;-)

Thanks Musty

Reply to
Musty

Somebody ( flooring it ) in town has a red one with hoodscoops & & black stripes running over the hood roof & trunk.

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 300,680 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

Yeah,

First thing I did was wheels and tires and weight reduction. Then intake, exhaust and tuning. But 04's can be gotten for 26k and the mods are never ending to be doing

12's very easy. I know what you meant though, I had a lowered 03 350Z before this car and it loved corners all day long. You need to be a good driver in this car that is for sure, it is more of a straight line car, but whatever car you buy, you make it into what you would like it to be.

I'm not done with mine by any means but feel free to check my website,

3500.00 rebate and 2.9 % interest is hard to beat for this much torque!

Paul Maxson

Your car looks sweet - I really like the wheels. What did you do for weight reduction?

Personally I ended up getting an 05 WRX STi (also on 2.9% finance!) which is quite a different type of car. So at this point I probaby dont belong in the NG :-(

BTW, it seems like you went "all out" with that security system. Hate to be a road rager anywhere near you ;-)

Reply to
Musty

I've had a 05 GTO for a month now, love it, but do have a few complaints, over-assisted no feel steering, long throw shifter, and spongy feeling brakes (will stop quick, just feel like they need bleeding). Good performer, conservative but good looking, cheap insurance, good gas mileage, very comfortable !!!

Musty wrote:

Reply to
Todd Harrison