Sure sounds like power steering fluid--------

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

It sounds like brake fluid (light brown, clearish). Have you checked the brake fluid reservoir?

Reply to
Steve K

The color of your oil will not tell you anything. It'll be black 100 miles after a change. Go by the mileage - and type of driving - to determine when to change the oil.

Or Transmission fluid, if it has an automatic trans.

Tom

Reply to
Tom S

It was a light brown. I did not check the brake fluid reservoir, although I did probably a month ago. It's time to revisit it. The oil has about 2800 miles on it. The oil is a year old, but the car doesn't get driven much. Like I said, it's more than due for a change, however. The brake fluid reservoir is located on the driver's side of the car under the hood. The power steering fluid reservoir is located on the passenger side under the hood, near the engine less than a foot away from the firewall. The car's steering has never been good - it turns wide. It's even stalled a time or two when you turn really tight. My mom's Celebrity that she used to have did the same thing - only lots more frequently. You just barely get enough room to do a U-turn with the car.

Reply to
Travis King

GENERALLY, the ATF will be pink, and brake fluid is NOT oily, and it IS a GM car, so power steering leaks are common as flees on a rat. The crimped joints between the rubber and steel lines leak - very common. The racks leak - also very common. The pumps leak too.

Anyone who's owned a GM over 4 years old has likely had a power steering fluid leek.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

A Pontiac characteristic. My father had 4 or5 in the '60's and '70's and I am on my third one and they have all had a big turning radius. I think it is an artifact of the "wide track". Never had the stalling problem on a really tight turn, but all of ours have been V-8's - 350 or bigger.

Tom S

Reply to
Tom S

We've had lots of GMs in the family and haven't had any problems with the power steering in any of them in the past... I take that back. Mom's Celebrity needed power steering fluid about once every month or two as it would start to whine really bad and be hard to turn. My car has always whined a little when you steer really tight no matter how much power steering fluid there is. It also makes a very very slight squeel sound - almost sounds like a belt squeeling or something.

Reply to
Travis King

[mystery fluid]

If it's the brake fluid, you're in luck because that's easy to find/fill. If it's power steering fluid, get ready to scrape your knuckles, because it's in the front of the engine compartment, behind the radiator (as you're looking head-on at the engine) on your left (as I recall) down low, with little hand room. It is possible and even likely you lost your power steering fluid cap - they come off pretty easily on rough roads, or at least they did in my '86 6000LE.

Transmission lines can also become undone; a symptom is horrible, horrible noises while driving followed by being sure the car is going to self-destruct. Cheap repair though; ran $60.00 including fluid.

Reply to
REP

Reply to
Travis King

Lucky you! By the 8th year I had it, I just kept spares with me.

Reply to
REP

In quick summary, the only thing that's good on this car is its body. It's otherwise pretty bad all in all.

Reply to
Travis King

Mine was stolen from me the second year I had it; it was recovered a month later with a lot of body damage. A LOT of body damage, but it still ran great. Then I towed it over 2,000 miles on a tow dolly through every mountain range in the US when I moved to California. By the end of its life, I couldn't open the driver's door from the inside and the driver's window had stopped working plus it still had the body damage from being stolen, but in short: looked like crap, ran like a dream, had a few minor quirks.

Reply to
REP