Thumping sound at left rear wheel

Hello all. I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 6cyl 3.1 lt 2dr. I've been getting a thumping sound at what seems to be the left rear wheel. At first I thought it was the muffler hitting up against something but I've eliminated that possibility also I had the rear shocks changed last year to I don't think it could be that. Everytime I go over a bump in the road I get this thumping sound that I didn't hear before I got the left rear tire changed, it sounds like something is loose but I don't know it is. If anybody knows or has any idea what the cause could be please reply to this post. Your replies will be appreciated.

Thank You

Reply to
A clif

Is the spare fastened tight in the trunk? How about the jack/jack handle.

Reminds me of the damage claim put in to AMC back in the early seventies for an Ambassador that came off the truck with a damaged trunk mat. Said " Jack as loose in trunk, tore up mat"

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Probaby not the problem but I had a car that broke the rear stabilizer and it sounded just like what you are talking about.

Willy

Reply to
Willy Wanka

Even though your shocks were changed a year ago suggest you recheck the mounting bolt torque.

Reply to
DonW

It turned out to be a Monroe shock absorber leaking oil on the rear driver's side that was damaged by the top mounting bolt that was improperly installed and came loose, stripped out the female theads on the top mounting bracket. Do yourself a favor and don't do to pep boys to get new shocks and struts installed. Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
A clif

Reply to
Willy Wanka