timing chain problems,please help!!!

i own a 94 grand prix with the 3.4 dohc,i know this can be a problem engine and high maintance issues,coming home the car lost all power and run rough before stopping and just the motor turning over,upon getting it home,i removed the observation covers to the top cams to check the cam/timing belt,the belt is still intact but when turning the engine over the cams/belt do not move,a retired gm machanic said something to the tune of the bottom crank gear either broke the key or the belt groves were shaved off letting the crank just turn in the belt,he had me pull my plugs to see if they were damaged(something about pistons or valves collapsing and hitting the end of the plugs bending the valves and stems,) he said he believes there is a little clearence(not zero)and i might luck out since the belt did not break,just the gear or such was damaged,of course he recommended a compression test to make sure after the new belt and gear(s) were fixed. all plugs came out easy and no damage to the ends,from what i see of the belt at the observation points,it is or looks in decent condition and the groves are still at least at these points still groved and doesn't appear that worn or bad,still plenty of groves and rubber left, i guess i have to take the front of the engine down to get to the gear in question,i have three times been in this part of the mototr to replace the alternator,he said i have to pretty much do this again to get to the cover to get to the gear,,,can somebody please give me some advice,short cuts if any and some advice on a positive note as to what i have already found to assure me(positive thinking of course)that the valves and stems are okay and maybe just a belt and gear/key whatever is what is needed??? i have worked on engines before and have had a little bit into this one but the dohc system is both scary and i am not sure about what i'll find or what some signs are to what is damaged or needs to be done??? thanks,and of course paying a machanic big bucks is totally out of the question,i have to tackle this (within reason of course)without fail. bob

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

Shep