Timing Gears on 88 Grand Am 2.5

When I try to start my car, it almost starts and then a big spark or flame shoots out of my engine. First was told that probably need new starter, then told that it may be the timing gears messed up. If it is the timing gears, how can I check to see if I can adjust them or if I need to replace them? I am on a very limited income and need to try to do the things I can for myself. Does anyone have any advice to what I can do? I recently had to have replaced my A/C,alternator, and power steering belts, and had to put in a new heater blower motor so don't know if any of these things may have caused my current problem. Thank you to any advice anyone has for me. =)

Reply to
BaybieCaykes

Compression check.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

ok...how would I do a compression check?

Reply to
BaybieCaykes

ok...how would I do a compression check?

Reply to
BaybieCaykes

Install your compression checker, wide open thr, spark off, crank it.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

compression guage screws into sparkplug hole then crank enngine a few revs .if reading is good, then your problem is on the tuneup end. reading on good engine is 150 pounds. i had 2.5 doing that and it needed plugs,wires and egr valve. lucas

ds549