TIRE Size HELP - Pontiac VIBE

Hi, I have a '03 Base Vibe and I'm looking for Winter tires & Rims.

Manual says tire size should be P205/55R16.

Tire dealer is telling me that I can use P205/65R15 winter tires and rims.

Can anyone PLEASE verify if this will work (compatible)?? will doing this damage anything or be dangerous in any way??

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Reply to
hax

If you have a good set of all season tires you won't need snow tires.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

The diameter of the 205/55R16s are 631.9 mm and the diameter of the

205/65R15s are 647.5 mm. With the 205/65R15s you'd be going faster then what the speedo says (I think, I'm not 100% sure). It should work fine with no problem, but like Harry Face said if you have good all season tires you won't need snowtires. What state are you in?
Reply to
Phillip Schmid

I use the 17" optional on the Vibe which don't go in the sun. I asked 3 dealers and 5 different people the question you asked and only 1 person could answer. YES you can use the standard 16" tire. I bought from

last year. I bought 4 rims and tires (Blizzark)and covers for $650. The best price I could find local was $850. They come mounted and balanced right to your door. If you prefer they can send them to one of the co_installers. They have a listing on there web site. This is a great company to do business with. They usually run a winter tire special. If you go with the Blizzark, you will need to do all four tires, and man are they good in the sun. I hope this helps.

Reply to
Tj

hax

just a thought

but what about the wheel speed sensors calibrated for 16 inch wheels

the 15s should set off a dtc

paul

Reply to
Paul

All he needs to do is get bigger sidewalls so that the diameter of the tires stays about the same.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

With 205 60 tires? Dream on. The car is TOO LIGHT for that kind of tire to give any kind of safety in snow. You need something that will either bite down through to pavement, or something that will grab tanaciously to the snow. An All Season tire will do neither. For winter driving with a light vehicle you want an agressive tread on a narrow tire.

I've lived, driven, and rallied in Ontario winter conditions, with cars as light as a mini and as heavy as an old Dodge PowerWagon. Mothing beats the Hakapelita - but for the price a good Dunlop Graspic or Bridgestone Blizzak are a good substitute.

The difficulty on the Vibe will be getting wheels to fit over the huge brake assembly - 15s will fit, but if a 14 could be made to fit a 225

75 14 would be much better for traction
Reply to
clare