Toyota Deals the Final Blow to GM and Ford with New Engine...

VW blocks worked for me too. Toss one on a good bonfire sometime.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

It dosnt matter how hot it gets...Toyota is working on a new kind of air that cool cooler than regular air. We are at war and battles are being planned ahead of time.

Reply to
Jebidiah Springfield

?

Yeh Americans are stupid and will buy anything especially if its somebody elses stuff just because other people have colder ice.

***

Reply to
Jebidiah Springfield

Unless I don't remember my physics/chemistry classes, doesn't Magnesium consume itself at insane temps?

Yeah boss, my car just ignited iteslf and went for a meltdown, I'l be a little late...

Reply to
El Bandito

a standard cigarette lighter (an old BIC) will turn a roll of magnesium into a really bright fire...

Reply to
El Bandito

Vega blocks were die cast, like most outboards.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Yes it's amazing how many still buy crap vehicles, consuming too much fuel and which they think are American, yet many are imported. See GM's bottom end junk cars imported from Korea.

Reply to
Spam Hater

UGH! You reminded me of another GM horror show. The Vega got me into my first Japanese car for urban driving.

Reply to
Spam Hater

This one is three years old

AMC-SC1 A New Magnesium Alloy for Engine Blocks

It proved to be a major challenge developing a magnesium alloy that had the necessary thermal and mechanical properties, but the new alloy (AMC-SC 1) developed by Dr Bettles and colleagues has both alloy content and heat-treatment conditions optimised for performance and cost. The alloy can be prepared and processed using standard techniques, and is suitable for the production of precision castings using a standard sand casting process.

Practical testing of the AMC-SC1 Magnesium Engine Block

More recently, AVL List, a leading European engine design company, has designed a three cylinder diesel engine with a magnesium block weighing

14kg. This has been fitted into a Volkswagen Lupo and is currently being road tested in and around Graz, Austria. The magnesium engine block could soon become as common as alloy wheels in the list of desirable attributes for new vehicles.

gosinn

LOL there is a web site somewhere with pics of a RAMVA member doing just that... makes lots of pretty colors.

Personally, I prefer them mounted behind the seats of a small, 2-seat, targa bodied car though. (I am not sure if the Type 4/914 engine actually has a magnesium case though.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Umm... now we're getting into arcane inanities.

Point: Magnesium cam covers or Fiero 4 cylinder blocks; biggest fire hazard?

Was a time a decade or so ago, when driving on Interstate and seeing column of black smoke ahead... you knew what you would find when you got there.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Perhaps but Toyota is still is in a distant forth place in sales in the US, the world largest market. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Try a respectable second.

your info is apparently out of date.

nate

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
N8N

We can assume you are not a math major, right? LOL

Total 2005 US sales approximately 16,600,000

GM 26% 4,316,000 Ford 18% 2,988,000 Chrysler 13% 2,158,000 Toyota 11% 1,826,000

Both GM and Ford sold more light trucks alone than Lexus, Toyota and Scion sold cars and light trucks combined

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

"Third rate Camry V-6?" Hah! GM wishes it was so. My '01 Sienna has one of those engines in it. I test-drove the competing Chevy and Chrysler offerings. Compared to the Sienna, they're both dogs.

Yeah, convincing poor bastards like me to buy their cars by pricing them competitively, delivering lots of features and offering excellent reliability. The excellent performance, matching-or-better gas mileage and quiet cabin were all just irrelevant bonuses.

***
Reply to
DH

And your source for this would be...?

Care to comment on which manufacturers are making money? Or on the "Vol % Change" figures in the report N8N provided from Morgan & Company?

***
Reply to
DH

CHICAGO (AFP) - Asian automakers continued to eat away at the US market share of the top American car companies even as the Big Three's US sales rose overall in January, according to sales figures.

Struggling Ford Motor Company and General Motors Corp posted their first monthly sales gains since they ended popular employee discount programs in August.

But they were unable to reverse a downward trend in market share that contributed to massive financial losses and plans to layoff a combined

60,000 workers in the next two years.

DaimlerChrysler also posted its first monthly sales increase since September, although it is in better shape after having managed to increase its market share in 2005 to 19.2 percent from 18.6 percent in

2004.

The Big Three domestic automakers saw their overall market share fall to 55.7 percent of the massive US market from 57.3 percent in January

2005, according to Autodata.

Asian brands saw market share increase to 37.5 percent from 36.3 percent a year ago.

European brands saw moderate growth, gaining 6.8 percent of the market in January compared with 6.5 percent a year ago.

Overall sales rose 7.6 percent to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of

17.64 million units compared with 16.34 million units last January, according to Autodata.

"January auto sales were clearly much better than expected," said Stephen Stanley, chief economist at RBS Greenwich Capital. "We are on a pace to see a month-to-month increase in the seasonally adjusted sales pace, perhaps to around 17.7 million units or so."

Analysts polled by Thomson First Call had expected a seasonally adjusted annual sales rate, on average, of 16.5 million vehicles. Wall Street had previously forecast a sales decline at all three of the major domestic manufacturers.

January's sales gains among domestic automakers were largely a result of fleet sales to bulk buyers like rental car agencies and the government, which do not pay as much as retail customers.

Ford estimated that the sales increase of about 65,000 vehicles for all automakers in January was comprised of about 55,000 vehicles sold to fleet buyers.

GM said its retail sales dropped seven percent in January but it was able to post a six percent increase overall due to fleet sales which accounted for 30 percent of the vehicles it sold.

GM said Wednesday it hoped to see an improvement in sales in the second quarter of this year with the introduction of a new line of sport-utility vehicles.

Those hopes were bolstered with the strong welcome the new Chevy Tahoe received: sales rose 53 percent to 13,093 vehicles in January.

"We had solid results in January and showed some very encouraging pockets of strength," Mark LaNeve, General Motors North America vice president of vehicle sales, service and marketing, said in a statement.

Total GM sales reached 296,003 vehicles with car sales up 14.6 percent to 134,467 and truck sales down 0.5 percent to 161,536 compared with January 2005.

But a senior executive at Ford said the bet GM is placing on large SUVs is risky as he expects sales of full-sized SUVs -- which fell 19 percent last year -- to continue to decline to an end-decade level of

650,000 to 700,000 units sold per year, compared to 800,000 in 2005.

"We're down to the core SUV buyer who needs the capabilities of that product," George Pippas, Ford's sales analysis manager, said in a conference call. "The rate at which it declines probably has most to do with gas prices."

Ford's sales rose two percent to 205,671 vehicles in January as better-than-expected car sales offset sales losses of SUVs.

DaimlerChrysler meanwhile saw a five-percent increase in January with total US sales reaching 167,934 compared with 160,212 in January 2005.

Of the Asian brands, American Honda Motor Company posted the strongest gains, with sales up 20.7 percent to 98,394 vehicles.

Toyota Motor Sales USA reported its best-ever January sales, up 14 percent to 160,625 vehicles.

Korean automaker Hyundai Motor America saw sales climb 16.1 percent to

30,208 vehicles.

Nissan North America was the only Asian automaker to post a loss, with January sales down 0.9 percent to 75,891 vehicles.

gosinn

Jeeze and I though that making wetter water was going to transform the automotive world.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to

this is true, I majored in engineering. And I meant to say "third" not "second."

In Jan '06 and for model YTD '06 Toyota is outselling Chrysler/Jeep. Ford is just barely ahead. Also if you look at

you will see that that is unlikely to change. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. It is especially sad that the foreign subsidiaries of Ford and GM make so much better products than we get here in their home market.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I don't do home work for my own grand children what make you think I'll do yours? Do your own search ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter