tranny troubles

i just got an 87 bonneville with the automatic transaxle for a little bit of nothing. it only has 1st & 2nd gear and it freewheels in those two gears. the fluid is burnt. before i spend the money for new filter and fluid to see if that helps i thought i would ask for ideas or comments. thanks homer

Reply to
homer

Go to autozone. they have a tranny fluid anti slip that will"fix" it from slipping. It is about $10 bucks a bottle but it works.

Reply to
Tj

sounds like old age & wear & tear. $1800 + to rebuild it.

good luck

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~270,000 miles_~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I tried the goop from autozone as a last resort. I pulled a loaded trailer from NY to NC. It was a v6 van. By the time I was in NC I couldn't get over

30mph. The next day after disconnecting the trailer I couldn't get the van over 45. I was in no position to have the tranny rebuilt, nor did I have the time. I stopped by the auto parts store and put in a bottle of goop. For $8 it was worth a shot in the dark. My only other options were to bring in someplace and drop a tranny in. After 10 minutes I could drive normal speed, any speed. I couldn't believe it! I hooked the trailer back up and went back to NY. No problems. That was in July. I have since pulled many things with no problem. The tranny goop looks like glue, but it works. The van is still going strong.
Reply to
Tj

Just a shot, but with my tranny fluid a quart low, it slips a lot. Any oily fluid would solve that problem. Just wondering, because to me, a story that sounds to good to be true......

If you go to a alley mechanic, he can get you a tranny for $200 and will do the work in a day, probably another $100 including some supplies. Not an rebuild tranny, but most wrecking yards are willing to give a couple months warranty (which still will be a waste of the $100, but worth taking)

Reply to
Baudolino

Might be the best $8 bucks he spends. Esp if he is low on funds.

Reply to
Tj

That's true, always better than having a local mechanic throwing parts into your car and hoping that will fix it.

Reply to
Baudolino