Transmission Leak

I have a few drops of transmission fluid that I found sitting in the snow from under my car. Is this something to be really concerned about or should I just be keeping an eye on it? Could this signify impending doom? Just had the transmission fluid changed in January this year. 1988 Pontiac 6000

2.5L. 124,000 miles.
Reply to
Travis King

Odds are it will only get worse. Better have it looked at.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Okay. Thanks a lot. It will be sad to see the car go if I don't get it fixed, despite the long love/hate relationship I've had with it. (In other words, I'd better get it fixed soon before it becomes very serious.) The car's been in the family for eight or nine years now. It started with my brother, who bought it for $2800 with 60,000 miles. It had a starting problem then - fuel pump. The A/C bit the dust two years later. Shortly after that, my brother got rid of it (bought a '95 Dodge Intrepid - almost new at the time - had only like 40,000 miles now has 115,000) and my mother took it. She got a different vehicle 2 1/2 years ago (1994 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer), and it's since been mine. My dad wants me to set up an appointment for a tune up since it's been a while since the last one. I'd get the oil changed while I'm at it to 5W30 (see my cold weather starting post). I should have them look at the transmission then also.

Reply to
Travis King

You said the trans fluid was changed 11 months ago. It's possible that the pan gasket was not done quite right and the gasket is leaking. From warped pan, loose pan, over tight pan, etc. That would be my first guess.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

You said the trans fluid was changed 11 months ago. It's possible that the pan gasket was not done quite right and the gasket is leaking. From warped pan, loose pan, over tight pan, etc. That would be my first guess.

Do you think if your first guess is correct, it will be a cheap fix?

Reply to
Travis King

If it is just a leaking bottom pan gasket, then it should be fairly cheap= =2E Side pan would be more expensive. Could be a loose line, also

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Tighten down the bolts. My Mom's car had a similar problem, but only after a week. It turned out to be back of the pan bolts needed that extra 1/4 turn. Been tight now for 3 years. Post back when you get this worked out.

Reply to
brxsep