transmission question

I have a 2000 grand am and would like to check the fluid, how do you do that in a closed system?

Reply to
Ed Wojciechowski

If there are no oil stains running down the sides of the transmission then it is full. The only way I would be able to tell if the transmission had enough oil in it would be to drain it, measure the amount you get out of against the mfrs. spec and then put new oil back in.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

Fill / check is a red colored cap on the top of the trans right-side under the exhaust crossover. Park it over a ditch, engine on, crawl under it, remove the plug. If hot oil comes out, its full.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I have the same car -- a 2000 GP (GTP). It has 132000 miles on it and I've

*NEVER* changed the xmission fluid.

I know -- STUPID STUPID STUPID. There, I've now flamed myself.

Now that that's dealt with, what suggestions do any of you experts have for dealing with this. I've never had any transmission problems, but realize that will likely change if I don't do a f&f change soon. However, I've heard that in cases such as this, changing the fluid can actually create problems (or technically, make obvious problems that were already there).

I've also heard there are types of flushes that can be done to help prevent this, but don't know much in the way of details. Any ideas?

BTW: I've looked at prices at some local shops, and there are some who prefer not to open the pan or change the filter at all (they say leaks are inevitable once that's done), and instead, use some type of solvent to clean everything out. I don't understand how that would get all the metal particulates past the filter.

Reply to
jwardl

Don't know about flushes, but if you do change f&f, add in some Lucas AT fix.

8 bucks on Amazon (Google search #1 result - Amazon??? car parts?)

The reas> I've also heard there are types of flushes that can be done to help prevent

Reply to
Jimmy