Turn signal problem on '02 Grand Am

Our '02 Grand Am has recently developed the following problem:

After making a turn, the turn signal shuts off, but goes into a fast clicking mode. The exterior turn signal lights are turned off and turn signal arrows on the instrument panel are off, but the clicking sound stays on as a fast click.

Sometimes while driving straight and not using the turn signal, the fast clicking noise will start (no lights come on) and then stop after a minute or so.

Could this just be a bad flasher? Can anyone tell me where the flasher is located on an '02 Grand Am?

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Tom,

Has the flasher been replaced under recall yet? My '01 was recalled for bad flasher unit, there are also other years affected.

I believe the location is behind the dash where the 4 way flasher button resides.

Howard

Reply to
hdd

I found and replaced the flasher today. It is an all-in-one flasher and is actually the 4-way hazard switch/flasher. I still have the same problem with the new flasher/switch.

The flasher makes intermittent fast clicking sound, but no signal lights flash. This happens every couple minutes when driving straight (not using turn signals) and happens after using turn signals. When the turn signals turn off, the flasher makes a fast clicking noise for 10 or 20 seconds, then stops. Very irritating.

Any ideas?

Tom

Reply to
mabar

I had the exact same problem on my 01, it started last week. Saturday I got hold of a wiring diagram (I'm an electronics Tech by trade, so wiring does not scare me) and traced out the problem, you will probably notice that if you jiggle the turn signal arm you can induce the fault, that's where the problem is, it works in conjunction with the flasher unit built into the 4 way! It is easily fixed with NO PARTS NEEDED. If you are handy with a screwdriver and don't mind taking apart the steering column a bit then I can give you instructions. Otherwise have a mechanic do it, but it is fairly easy. Drove me nuts for the week, (I didn't have time to work on it) but now it's all better. Post a note if you want the full instructions.

Reply to
Beverly Letto

Hi Beverly:

Yes, I would appreciate the instructions.

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
mabar

That's my wife's name, don't know how that got there???

I want to state that I take no responsibility for anything which may happen to you or your vehicle from the information I am giving you, proceed at your own risk.

These instructions are for a 2001 Grand Am SE with the ignition on the dash and only Cruise Control on the wheel.

Anyways, here goes...

1- remove three screws from the underside of the steering column cover, use a 7mm nut driver, you can also use a TORX driver but I don't know what size. 2- take the upper half off by snapping the front edge up first and then pulling slightly towards you, don't worry about the bottom half, the tilt lever would have to be removed and that's a little tricky. 3- there is one screw in the top of the black plastic assembly that has the switch/handle assemblies of both sides of the column, remove it. 4- disconnect the 3 plugs from the back of the assembly and the assembly should now be able to be removed. 5- if you look carefully in the area of the assembly near the turn signal handle you will see some gaps in the plastic with metal along the edges of these gaps, now moving the turn signal handle and you can see the wiper move across the gaps, along the path that the wiper moves you should see some grease sitting in the gaps, THERE IS THE PROBLEM!!!! Remove the grease with a tooth pick as best possible, really give it a good cleaning, DON'T USE ANY SPRAY OR LIQUID CLEANERS, they could yield undesirable results. You can clean the grease from all of the other gaps you see as well. The grease was put there originally to lube the contacts and prevent oxidation of the metal. 6- reassemble in the reverse order, EXCEPT, pay attention to a metal pin sticking out of the upper center portion of that assembly on the edge facing towards you, if you press on it it will move inwards and move back out when you let it go, as you are putting the assembly back into place you will see that it will bring up against a metal plate just behind the steering wheel, push the pin in so that it goes behind the plate and the assembly will go the rest of the way down, NEVER FORCE ANYTHING. 7- put the screw and plugs in and check everything out, if all is well then put the cover on by hooking the back edge in first and snapping the front edge together, reinstall the 3 screws. 8- YOU ARE DONE!!!!!!! Should take 1/2 to 1 hour. NO PARTS!!!!

Now you may wonder, HOW THE HELL DOES A BIT OF GREASE CAUSE THIS, well I could get into the technicalities of this but it may bore you, suffice it to say that electronics are a different animal that straight electricity. If you want the technicalities then let me know and I will post it.

I only did this on the weekend and so far no problems, if the problem reoccurs then the process will have to be repeated.

Please Post your results.

GOOD LUCK

Tech

Reply to
Tech

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

A few more additions.....

  1. You may want to disconnect the battery, not necessary if you are careful but accidents can happen, ie. short something. Make sure you know your Radio unlock code though.
  2. be careful not to touch the 2 wire harnesses which are covered in tubing, one black (I think) and one yellow, they are visible near the back of the column on top and then run underneath and go towards the steering wheel, I am pretty sure the yellow wrapped one is for the AIR BAG, it can deploy, Thus the reason for disconnecting the battery.

That's it, Have fun.

Tech

Reply to
Tech