Unlocking the Delco Loc II

Hi. I just bought a like new Delco Loc stereo for my 1989 Pontiac Bonneville SSE. The stereo is in perfect condition except when I installed it in my car it comes up Loc'd. I also purchased a manual for my car that tells me how to unloc(heh) the stereo when battery power to the radio has been lost(like when installing it from one car to another). The only thing that's supposed to happen is that you have to hook it up and it recognizes that its hooked up to a car with steering wheel controls(Like my SSE) and its supposed to unlock itself. However the stereo did not unlock.

I was wondering if somoene had perhaps found another way to unloc a Delco Loc stereo without taking it to a dealer(at which point it becomes more cost effective just to buy a third party stereo with a CD-Player) :P)?

Reply to
<warya

I'm not sure where I stole this -- I'd like to credit the source, but here goes:

Found this on one of the forums--might be a good idea to have it archived somehwere for good measure--I used it to unlock a HU that I bought used, so I know it works

Hey, for all of you who have bought your Grand Prix or other Pontiac used from a dealer or individual, and have had to change a battery or alternator or both, you've probably run into the problem of having your Delco Theftlock Radio displaying a LOC code on the display. The only problem is, you might not be the original owner of the car, and the person who owned it before may have not given the dealer their unlock code, or might have forgotten it...so here is the skinny on unlocking it. If you already know how, then that's great, but if you know of someone who's having this problem, share the info with them. Stop letting the GM dealers charge you $50-$60 or more to do this procedure that a five year old could do in less than five minutes!!!!! Here you go:

  1. Press and hold presets 2 and 3 for about 5 to 10 seconds until you get 3 digits on your display. This is the first 3 of 6 digits you will need, so write 'em down.

  1. After doing step one and writing down the code, immediately press the AM/FM button to get the last 3 of the 6 numbers you'll need, and write 'em down. (if you wait too long between steps 1 and 2 and the LOC code displays again, just start over).

  2. Call this number, it's a prerecorded message, so don't worry about having to talk to anyone...1-800-537-5140. The voice will ask if you're calling for Chevy, Pontiac, Cadillac, etc... When you here him tell you to press "2" for Pontiac, press 202107 and hit the # key. He'll ask you for the 6 digit code that you've written down. Enter that and press the
  • key. He will then give you a code, and the option to get additional
4 digit codes, but one should be sufficient.

  1. Follow the normal procedure in your owners manual for unlocking the radio with your new code...press the hour set button on your radio until you get the first two numbers of the code, then press the minute set button until you've entered the last two numbers. Immediately press the AM/FM button once the correct code is entered and the code SEC or "secured" will be displayed on the display screen. Now, just turn the radio on, and your ready to roll.

There is an additional step you can take to remove all codes from the radio and start from scratch by entering your own personalized 4 digit code so that it won't get you in a pickle again! Just repeat step 4 and you should get a display screen that reads ---. This means the code is out, and you can now program your own code. Of course, once you receive the 4 digit code from the GM recorded message, just keep it in a safe place, because you can use that same code again and again should you have any more problems with it in the future. Good luck, and yes, it does work.

***End Pasted Post***

OK, I found another dealer code : 206010 (for pontiac). This one worked fine for me. I was able to retreive the unlock code.

Robert Barr

I had what you are talking about happen to me several times with my '91 Grand Prix (also has steering wheel controls). The solution for me was to turn the ignition on, plug in the first set of wires (a blue tab if i recall correctlly, which is for the wheel controls) then plug in the speaker wires, then the power wires.

Hope that helps, cause my memory is terrible lol

Reply to
80 Knight

My Stereo does not have Presets as it was meant for the preset to be done from the steering wheel.

Reply to
<warya

Tried this also, it didn't work either. :(

Reply to
<warya

I have the same problem. in my sutuation my steering wheel controls do not work. So the radio will not ense the controls and start working on its own. is ther something else i can do?

Reply to
91GrandPrixSE