valve cover oil leak

I'm having trouble stopping an oil leak from the front valve cover on a 1994

3.8 Bonneville. The oil seems to seep down and end up on the exhaust manifold which causes a lot of smoke, depending on how long the car sits. Are there any secrets to installing a new gasket? Should I use a sealer? Thanks
Reply to
Matt

Hello Matt; I have never had problems with the gasket sealing. What kind of gasket are you using? I would suggest a FelPro rubber gasket. I usually put a small dab of black silicone sealer at each corner of the valve then install the gasket on the valve and let stand for about 30 min before installing on the car. This step helps to keep the gasket from moving when trying to install in the car. Check the torque spec for the valve cover for a secure fit, but do not overtighten the cover which could result in a leak. Hope this helps.

Reply to
bigred

Just a comment. My FelPro new valve cover gaskets came with instructions stating that under no circumstances should a sealant be used on their product. This is their so-called Perma Dry product.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Matt,

Bigred raises a good point regarding "gasket creep". I'd like to add one other item: be sure all the drainback passages in the head are not blocked. If the oil pools up against the edge of the gasket, it is likely that no matter how good the seal is.some of the oil will seep through. Also, make sure the sealing surfaces (both cover and head) are prepped properly and that the flanges on the cover are not bent or otherwise damaged.

I've seen this issue more with 2.8L/3.1L GM V6s than I have with the

3.8L V-6.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Reply to
William H. Bowen