WANTED: 1988 thru 1991 Bonneville SSE Tail lights

Some dork plowed into me from behind, and because of the short supply of new or used tail lights, my classic baby's going to be totaled. Just makes me sick... Any ideas ? Is there an NOS warehouse hiding out there ??

Rich....

Reply to
Guess

When I was at a junkyard out by me -- oh back in March they had a few of the LE, SE models with taillights still intact. I don't know if the lights ( or the entire car ) are still there now. They even had the center section for the license plate too.

The 90-91 LE/ SE light should fit in the SSE tailpanel alright.

On the 90 - 91 - SSE it just has one extra taillight bulb, where the LE / SE use two bulbs and a marker bulb for the main red cluster. The turnsignal is the amber corner piece on 90- 91.

If you find some on a 87-89 LE / SE those are the units that are all red and I think use 5 bulbs, the outer two for Brake light & signals, all four for tail lights and inside one for back up light. . It should also bolt in to a 90 - 91, but your going to have to do some rewiring to get it all to work right.

I think this is the place here~_~_>>

A-Reliable Auto Parts & Wrecker

2247 West 139th Street Blue Island, Illinois.

1-800-385-2385 ( Local ) at 708-385-5595

Good Luck....

How good are your front seats?

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~282,025 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

There are a few LE and SE lights out there still, and that is an option, but I'd like to remain true to the car. It's really the black stripped overlay that is different, the different number of lights is not a problem. I will use a pair of those if it really comes to that.. I just can't believe there are none available out there... I keep thinking I'm just not looking in the right place. Was there a year that had a clear overlay AND the amber turn signals ? I think I've seen some like that. The clear overlay might be painted to resemble the SSE. My seats are Great, had them redone 2 weeks before the dork hit me, along with a new headliner, and new carpet.. I also just put some 2004 Cadillac CTS wheels on it as well. Looking for seats ? I see plenty at the wrecking yards, ( never ready to bolt in ) But $50 for a pair, and $350-$400 to re-skin seems fair, if I hadn't got mine redone, I found a pair of 1995 leather one's that would have been great. By the way $350-$400 won't get you leather.. I had to opt for the Vinyl "leather look-a-likes"

Rich...

BTW: I'm offering $250 for a set of "nice" 1988-1991 SSE Taillights.. Anyone ?? !!

Reply to
Guess
1990 & 91 LE / SE used the clear lens and had the amber wraparound turnsignal. The clear outer lens had a black border that would magically disappear at two years of age. Mine were warranteed and replaced and about two years later the black began to disolve again.

1986 - 1989 LE / SE used a clear outer lens that had two, ( or was it 3 ? ) 1 inch thick black horizontal strips on the inside of the lens that run the full width of the tail light.. This gave you the impression the taillight lens looked like three long red bands. No Amber was used on

86-89 tail lights..

The information I have is all of the 86-91 SSE's used the same tailight for those years. The clear outer lens had all kinds of thin black lines running horizontal & verticle, for a blacked out look. The SSE used the amber wrap around turnsignal set up that was later used on the 90-91 LE/ SE, which utilized the clear outer lens.

I think the SSE production for 91 was only around 14,000 cars, The entire 91 run was only around 43,000 cars. The SE only accounted for about 7000 and the bulk of the production was the base LE model.

I took mine LH side to reseal. Once you get the outer lens separated from the back portion, the red & amber lenses just rest in between the two halves. The clear back up light is part of the outer clear lens.

I don't think I'll be doing much in the line of restoration to this car. I had one shop redo the driver seat but their idea of redo was stuff foam under the original worn out foam cushion.

Hoping for 300,000 miles though.....

Good Luck