What is a lazy oxygen sensor?

I get my car back from the shop, still running like crap. And on my bill, it says Oxygen Sensor found to be lazy. What the hell does that mean? (Seriously)

Reply to
clevere

Sounds like a load of crap why did you pay for a job not done? Excuses and explanations just don't cut it. Why is the job not completed?

Rey

Reply to
Reynaud

That was part of the diagnosis. They wanted to replace the fuel injectors, I told em to kiss my ass. I paid for the labor already involved in the diagnostics. I've found lots of references to lazy O2 sensors on google, but nothing specific.

Reply to
clevere

An O2 sensor creates a voltage according to the oxygen content of the exhaust. When the sensor says rich, the computer corrects and forces the engine lean. As soon as the sensor reports lean, the computer corrects again, forcing it rich. These "crossings" should be fairly quick. A "lazy" sensor is slow switching from rich to lean, and back. An engine with a "lazy" sensor does not run as well as it should.

A sensor can go lazy from running too rich, and can run rich because of bad injectors. It can also run lean because of bad injectors.

I suspect the injectors should be cleaned, as step #1. Get a bottle of Techron.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Lazy means that the oxygen sensor does not respond to changes in oxygen concentration as quickly as it should. This is a legitimate issue if it exists on your car, but should cause little more than a check engine lamp.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
clevere

Thanks. No check engine light. I wish it had :)

Reply to
clevere

I don't think he means the Oxygen Sensor was lazy. I think he means the MECHANIC is lazy! Get your money back and get it to another shop. :(

Getting a tune-up might help a bit too.

-- [*]~ Fuzzie Dice ~[*] Kitt: 1987 Pontiac 6000 w/ 145,000+ Miles Knight Dreams: The restoration of Kitt

FuzzieDice