What's draining my battery?

I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix and my battery keeps dying on me. I had my alternator, which was replaced about six months ago, checked and they said that it was ok. What else could it possibly be the problem that's causing my battery to die out? I'm stumped! Should I take my car elsewhere and have them test my alternator again? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Reply to
Labrador

Take the trunk light bulb out and see if that solves the problem, the mercury type switch went out in mine. Didn't use the trunk light enough to warrant replacing the switch. Could be the underhood light as well, if so equipped.

TM

Reply to
TM

Had the same happened to me, but with a 1985 Buick Century Limted I purchased new. After about 3 years, the battery kept running down. Did remove the light blubs under the hood and trunk, but it still kept happening. Then one cold night had the Limted parked out in front of my house and just happen to glace out at it only to find the brake lights were on! A moment after they went off.

Traced it down to the brake light switch and the grease used on the contacts. Removed the grease and no more dead battery! Drove it for until 100K miles without the grease (total miles 120K.)

My two cents.

Reply to
brxsep

What's the story on the battery? Age and brand.

I'm still running my original from 02/00. Having the thing under the back seat extends it's life by a couple of years I think.

Lee

2000 SSEi

Reply to
Lee C. Carpenter

Something is not turning off. AND/OR the battery is shot.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I have been having similar problems w/a 1991 Grand Prix.

I stopped using the (factory installed) radio and it seems to have lessened.

Especially when travelling in heavy stop and go traffic, having the radio on seems to drain it more.

I am also suspicious about the led clock that is always running (on the radio).

In fact, I'm thinking of disconnecting it entirely, and/or getting a brand new, more efficient, mp3/sirius type radio.

Reply to
John Bailo

Reply to
Niels Petersen