What the heck is going on?

I have a 98 Grand Prix, automatic, (supercharge) with 88,000 miles. For about a year now the car has skipped a beat when idling. Took to 3 different mechanics and they all said the same thing: we can't find anything wrong. Then about a month ago, things started to get really bad. I'll be driving down the road and all of sudden, the TCS will switch off. When that happens, the tach0meter will go to zero. Sometimes the Service Engine light will come on. When I Shut off and restart the car, these problems go away (Except the engine light which stays on for a couple hrs). Another problem: When the car hits speeds of around 30-40MPH, it seems to have trouble switching gears and sometimes jerks. I have to slam the accelerator and the car will lurch and then seem to adjust itself. These problems never happen on the open highway when I am going 60+ mph, only during constant stop and go city driving. I thought these were problems I could get use to but things are getting steadily worse and today at a stoplight the car cut off completely. I took to a dealer who hooked the car up to the computer and they said its the torque converter. When I called around to different transmission repair shops to get an idea of cost and time, they tell me no way is it the torque converter (upon hearing a description of the problems).

Anyone have any ideas as to whats going on? Is it even worth it to get this car fixed? snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
dannverr1

snip

Try taking the car to a second dealer, see if they also suggest it's the TC.

Depends on the overall condition of the car (and your financial situation)

Reply to
TJ 727

I've had similar problems with a 94 bonneville, supercharged, once it was the spark plug wires, 2nd time it was an injector, 3rd time it was a spark control module. Sounds like your problem could be one of these. It took several visits to my dealer to find the faulty spark control module. On each of these problems the car shook when under low throttle, high engine load, and cleared when you went to wide open throttle.

My car idled fine on all problems except for the fuel injector. I followed my service manual (from GM) it told me to disconnect the electrical connector from the injectors one at a time and see if the miss stopped. I did and it did stop missing. Replaced the faulty injector and all was okay.

Reply to
Jeff & Carol

Reply to
Slicknick