Wheel bearing noise???

I think my 2000 GP needs some help. The front end started making a sort of buzzing noise last night. The noise is speed related (changes pitch with speed) and also changes when turning. When I turn left it quiets down when I turn right it gets louder. It isn't affected by putting the car in neutral.

I'm thinking front wheel bearings/hub assembly...am I on the right track here?? So, if it is the bearings, which one is it, left or right? Do you usually replace both at the same time?

Jay S

Reply to
Jay S

Bearings usually hum or whine not buzz. Bearings do change sound on turns. Only someone riding in the car can tell if it's a left or right side noise. Buzzing could be a tire noise. That would change on turns. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

It's not the tires. I just put 2 new tires on the front and the noise was there before the tire change. Buzz may not be the right way to describe the noise. It's hard to type what you think a noise sounds like. It's a low pitched noise that could be perceived as a low hum. It's definitely not a whine.

Jay S

Reply to
Jay S

Does it do it when you put on your brakes, and brakes and turn? Does it sound like a kirping sound? If so it might be the metal in your brake pads telling you it is getting close to time to change them. That is what my Malibu is doing.

Reply to
ADAM KRACKENBERGER

Nope. It's not brake related. The car had 2 front brake jobs in the last 6 months. (GM botched the first job)

Jay S

Reply to
Jay S

It certainly sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

The best course for diagnosis is to put the car in the air, run it in drive and listen to the bearings on both sides with a stethoscope.

You probably wouldn't want to when you see where GM has these bearings priced at, and no, it's not necessary to replace both. An alignment check would be a good idea after the bearing is replace though.

By chance did you bump a curb or hit a pot hole before the noise appeared?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I'd say it was a bearing. It usally is the bearing on the oposite side in which you are turning (ie. if the noise increases when you are turning left, it is the right bearing )

Reply to
John Theriault

Reply to
John Theriault

I wouldn't decide which side is the culprit just by using the 'turn-test'. I've been fooled before by wheel bearings that get quieter under load.

Now I use & trust my stethoscope. Quality aftermarket bearing assemblies are available for your car at around half the dealers price.

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts