When the Japanese Take over the the US Auto Industry the US will have Hell to pay

As the US consumer assists in helping the Japanese take over the US auto industry by wiping GM an Ford off the map thereby reducing all major competition I suspect the quality control to go down on these cars to an extent. With the less competition with Ford and GM 6 feet under the Japanese would have won the war and finally put a close to WWII once and for all. Quality will fade and japan will more than likely begin to cut corners while racking in tremendous profit. Customer service as well as repair will probably also suffer. So all of the Americans who now suck up to Japanese car companies will realing know what sucking means when all is said and done.

Reply to
Booboo Baker

"Booboo Baker" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Because, of course even IF the us auto manufacturers did 100% shut down, there's no korean, european, or upcoming chinese manufacturers to provide competition to the japanese brands.

you're friggin' brilliant, troll. JP

Reply to
Jon R Patrick

GM and Ford are the major competition for the Japanese in America. I am brilliant ...yes......a troll ..no.

Reply to
Booboo Baker

Interestingly it is a competition between Quality and cutting corners There is nothing saying that even though GM will be bankrupt that it will stop Quality is winning and all manufacturers need better Quality to stay in the race Toyota is winning because of better Quality The other companies are learning from them more or less Cutting corners is no longer an option Even GM is not immune to the competition Only question is if GM will survive They will no longer be number one US car industry is gaining from this competition They had been cutting corners for too long

Reply to
gosinn

I doubt quality has slipped in Japan simply because they have little competition. Their people demand quality. Americans demand different things. I'm in the minority on this I think, but I don't care much about fit and finish except if it's a sign of overall poor quality. I want something simple, low maintenance, reliable, easy to repair and that runs forever. That also seems to make me the manufacturer's least valued customer.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Aw gee, Boohoo...the American consumer didn't have to help GM and Ford. They have been working hard at self destruction for decades.

If those carmakers want our support, then they should provide what we want.

And we want quality, economy, and design... Not a frikking warm water washer.

Reply to
<HLS

"Booboo Baker" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

that's not what you're argument was. you said the japanese would win the war. that ignores the fact the europeans, chinese and koreas could provide the compeitition if GM and Ford just suddenly disappeared.

Your points are juvenile at best, naive probably best describes it. JP

Reply to
Jon R Patrick

You have to admit that the UAW is squeezing the hell out of American companies. If they could get that monkey of they back they could be much more competitive dollar wise.

Reply to
Stanely Beamish

I think you are wrong, for years Japan has been the guinea pig for japanese cars. They were building and selling shitty cars to there own people first to iron out all the bugs before introducing them to the US. That has been there history and it is a fact. Look it up. So the japanese people were driving troublesome cars that were fixed then introduced here.

Reply to
Stanely Beamish

At this time European and Korean cars are such a small part of the Japanese competition in this country...that is my point. Juveniles are the first to call names when there ability to understand is lacking.

Reply to
Booboo Baker

No argument from me...they did indeed assist in cutting there own throats. But...not including the GM intake gasket problem that they have ignored for years, they actually make a pretty dependable product from my experience. But since they ignored the IG problem for over 10 years they are on my shit list. So if I buy another GM product anytime soon they wil have to damn near give me the car with incentives, or come out with something I really want. Luckily my current GM product with 128k miles still run damn near like new as well as looks nice so I am not really looking for anything, but when I do they better have some different offerings if the want my business. I am still not ready to buy japanese because I would feel like a traitor.

Reply to
Booboo Baker

"Booboo Baker" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

And I think that's the problem with GM. They actually build a very reliable car (IMHO) and some of the best transmissions in the world. But, a reliable car just isn't enough. The best cars provide style, reliability, quality interior materials, good fit-and-finish and a good ride/handling combination. Basically, something that's durable and you're not embarrassed to sit in or be seen in.

GM's done a good job at times with *parts* of the forumla, but seems to be having trouble with "the whole package"... and far too much of the limitation comes from their corporate cost-cutting mentality. Parts sharing, cutting costs in interiors to get a fraction of a percentage additional profit.

I currently own a GM (saturn) and ford product. My favorite and best car by FAR was a Mazda, and my older VW was a close second. We had a 2003(?) accord which was a terrific car, and I certainly *get* why people buy them...but it didn't have the same emotional connection my Mazda had.

Personally, I'd like to try a Nissan next, but if I were in the market for a midsized car, I'd be getting a Fusion.

JP

Reply to
Jon R Patrick

"Stanely Beamish" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

There is some truth to this argument, and the unions have to realize they need to offer concessions to help be part of the solution or they're just going to be the final straw that breaks GM. However, it's not all to be laid at the feet of organized labor. We're not here to argue the necessity of unions or not in todays world, but 30+ years of GM & ford management have agreed to the flawed plans that led to this place.

JP

Reply to
Jon R Patrick

That may be your opinion and you are entitled to it, but it is that of a minority. The fact is more buyers in the US apparently believe the vehicles sold by GM, Ford and Chrysler are better than any of the imports. Buyers in the US still buy far more of the vehicle from GM, Ford and Chrysler than ANY of the import brands. My current 2005 and 2005 domestics are great cars and my previous six domestics proved to be dependable cars. To be fair my previous seven imports were good cars as well, but certainly no better than the domestics I have owned recently ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I don't think this is supportive. I lived in Japan for three years and saw many wonderful cars/SUVs before the US ever heard of SUV. They were also very good vehicles, including the one's I owned. This opinion below doesn't hold water especially when one considers the registration process that Japanese cars go through. Keeping a car in Japan gets real expensive after five years due to the registration /safety (sic) process. If anything, their gov't is making the auto machine run by forcing their people to start looking for a new car after 3 years. Hey! They never get to the point where the cars fall apart, unless they are rich and then they don't care. Look that up.

Reply to
itsme

they could have listened to Edward Deming, that is how the Japanese became great manufacturers of the items that they cared about.

Reply to
itsme

and I hate the way the foam comes loose on the steering wheel. You can rotate it around the frame of the wheel... this smacks of garbage. I think it's due to getting hot and the glue coming free, well, duh, it's under glass and sun. Haven't seen it on a ford and never on a foreign car.

Reply to
itsme

sounds like you go through a lot of cars, most cars are great in the first few years.

Reply to
itsme

I'm eighty years old and run two cars. Any car one can buy today will easily last up to 200K if given the proper preventive maintenance. However few Americans keep their vehicle long enough to reach that kind of mileage The fact is the average new vehicle buyer in the US replaces their vehicle in three to four years with 45K to 60K on the clock. Even the average used car buy in the US replaces their used vehicle in two to three years. One can search the US Commerce Department for the detains if interested.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

wow that should make it easier to get a good used car (due to sloanism).

We've had our clubwagon since Oct 96 (97 model year), take good care of it, it has 122K on the odo.

Our Mercury GM has approximately 144k on the odo, purchased it from a friend whose father in law had it since 1990, he put 99k on it, it's been good too (had the heater core done for 550.oo.. ouch.

need to do something with the driver seat though, getting uncomfortable with the cushion wearing out.

Reply to
SC