Why?

I keep seeing in this NG the issues with electrics, trans dipstick tubes no longer being on cars and quality in general. Considering the prices on new cars, not to mention the sales taxes, tag taxes, interest on car loans and full coverage insurance, I fail to understand why more folks don't buy wrecks and rebuild them.

Shit! Pull an old Poncho from an auto graveyard, rebuild it, have it inspected, re-titled, re-tagged and insured and you'll end up with a cooler car for less dinero.

Not long ago I went through an 84 Bird with the 4 banger, 4 speed trans. To completely rebuild, replacing engine/tranny, tidying up the electrical, new suspension, (ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, shocks/struts etc) new rubber, and repainting was a bit less than $5600 US.

32+ mpg. low insurance, drives great being so light in the front end for a 3rd Gen.

I've been offered twice that numerous times from guys seeing it at a gas station or whatever. A buddy of mine did the same with a mid-60's full size Bonneville and it's frigging amazing what he gets offered for it.

Just a bit of a rant.

Reply to
FBR

Because 99% of the car driving population cannot repair or restore anything.

What's with the new topic....shouldn't you be slamming new posters for being invloved in some SPAM conspiracy?? (note, sarcasm not obvious.....but implied)

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

You mean like the trolls who keep posting the same problems posted before just to get a response? No, I don't bother generally with them, they are pathetic enough as it is. You mean the true spammers? I generally just report them without posting unless I find it funny enough to make a joke about or they tick me off for some reason.

Now if you mean my use of sarcasm on folks who haven't read any previous posts, done any research on thier own, or expect an answer in the email inbox, no, I won't quit that. I hope you notice that even when I turn the sarcasm hose on them I also try to point them in the direction to find thier answers, wether it's a link or an obvious hint.

If you don't like my posts you can always killfile me in your newsreader. I'll even give you instructions on how to do it. Sarcasm is fun and can be used as a tool to poke someone a bit to get them moving. In humor it's also a great tool. Now as someone who's been called a great tool many times........

/HeHe, I'd better stop here

Reply to
FBR

LOL! GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Most of the general buying public wants to buy a car & not have to do anything to it.

The average person isn't going to go to a junkyark to buy a car to rebuild. Most of the cars in the Chicago junkyards are junk, rotted out, stripped out wrecks. Who would want to replace everything on a car.

Hell the yards don't seem to keeep a car that long anyway then they crush it & haul it away. Car's older than 1970 are a very rare find out here.

There's also trouble finding places good enough to rebuild a car, replace interior's etc...

When I had a seat re-foamed. It was not a new foam cushion that was install but just some stuffing added under my worn out cushion. Not a very good job for $138, plus I could hardly drive it from the overstuffing pushing me further out of the seat closer to the roof & dash, Very bad on the back too.

When I had a new convertible top installed on the Z-24 it was not the same a heavy duty quality as the original, plus the storm flaps behind the quarter windows were eliminated on the aftermarket top allowing excessive air to leak in while the car was in motion. When the new top was installed the guys didn't reglue the side weatherstrips on they just pushed them into the rails that had small seam rails that would catch on the rubber tabs, but they still needed to be glued in. First time I lowered the top weather strips fell off.

Wasn't worth the $599 for the new top job, I wish I kept the original on there. Had I known I was going to sell the car one year later I would of left it alone.

GM has discontinued many parts for 1991 autos already. They discontinued carrying the chrome door handles on mothers 91 Caddy - she likes smashing against them agaainst the bricks on the garage, thus requiring them to be replaced every couple years. LOL.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~294,824 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Easy: some of use are lazy and care about appearance. :) I could buy a wreck and spend all kinds of money rebuilding and getting it roadworthy, and what would I have? An old, roadworthy heap.

Or, I could spend that money on a new car, and let the various issues (at least for a while) be the concern of good ol' Mr. Goodwrench.

To be fair, what you're seeing here in regards to quality issues and problems ins't representative of every new car being bought. Fact is, most people go here *specifically* when they have a problem, and stay generally silent when things are fine. As for me, I've bought two new GM vehicles in the past three years, and only had one problem each. On the '02 Grand Am, an O2 sensor died and was replaced in an afternoon. On my '04 Cavalier, someone at the assembly plant must've been smoking something and set the alignment wrong; the car would pull right. Both problems were fixed quickly.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

You might end up with "An old, roadworthy heap". I end up with a brand new/updated whatever. Basically a classic with new underpinnings that looks like new for less than the price of the god-awful junk they are passing off as "cars" these days.

Your statement, "Easy: some of use are lazy and care about appearance." pretty much sums up how they get away with it I guess.

A shame really...

Reply to
FBR