Why was 3.8 SC Dropped From B-Ville?

Is Pontiac just trying to sell more 4.6 V-8's by dropping the 3.8 SC on the Bonneville or what? The engine was perfect for the car.

Lee C. Carpenter

'00 SSEi '95 GA SE

Reply to
Lee C. Carpenter

I think it's supposed to fit in with the Pontiac image better. That and they started making more by adding more cars to Cadillac's lineup that uses the Northstar. And I also believe that they're starting to phase out the 3800 and within a few years (say 5 or 6) I don't think it'll be as common as it is or even in use anymore.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Yeah the 3800 will be gone in 2-3 years most likely.

Reply to
Paradox

Paradox wrote; Yeah the 3800 will be gone in 2-3 years.

I hope its replaced by something with more HP & TQ than the 3800 had.

Give us some ZOOOOOOOM!!

Mine is getting tired : - (

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~278, 469 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

The Bonneville SSE model is actually dropped from the 2004 lineup, being replaced mid year by the Bonneville GXP. A 4.6 V8 replaces the SC 3800V6.

When the Regal GS ends production this year you'll see another SC 3800 go bye bye.

The redesigned Park Avenue / Ultra is due out in 2006 . There's a good chance the Ultra won't have the SC 3800 either, in favor of a V8.

If the GTO is going to be built over here in 2006 or 2007 GM says they will have to build another model along with it, can that be a RWD Monte Carlo? If it is, the MC won't have a SC 3800 either & it no doubt will be RWD V8.

Time will tell.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~278, 469 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

With that mileage it's allowed to be tired!

Reply to
Lee C. Carpenter

"Lee C. Carpenter" wrote

The Northstar is a great engine, but wait until you have to pay the piper to fix the thing. It's rather expensive to do any repairs to that engine.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Does Northstar as reliable engine as 3.8L SC?

Reply to
newsgroup

"newsgroup" wrote

Probably not, but it's getting better. The later models of the Northstar seem to have fewer problems.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

yeah, with a 3.9L 245HP/245ft/lb V6

Reply to
Paradox

There will still be the GP GTP and the Impala SS, but the former has a replacement scheduled for 2006/2007 and the latter should be replaced in the approximately same time-frame.

The new 3.9 OHV V6 is probably OK to replace the 3.8, but I have to wonder about the 3.8 SC. It's not like a Northstar can be dropped in either of these cars and they'll remain below $30000.

I wonder which one... I've read somewhere that the 5.3 OHV V8 would be used in mid-size sedans when they get a RWD platform. Too bad the Aurora V8 is gone...

Reply to
Neo

Is it expensive because it's in a Cadillac?

Reply to
Neo

What kind of problems?

TIA

Reply to
Neo

"Neo" wrote

Not really, it's mainly because it's shoehorned into the engine compartment making it pretty much impossible to do any major work without taking the entire engine/trans assembly out the bottom.

It will be just as tight in the Bonneville.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

"Neo" wrote

Let's see, oil leaks from the case half seal, water pumps leak, head gaskets/bolts fail, oil consumption, and on the later models, they now have piston slap that doesn't seem to get fixed by performing decarbonization procedures. I've got a 2003 Deville coming in next week and we will be putting 8 new pistons in it. 20,000 klms on it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

No. With a 8.0L 500HP/500ft/lb V8! :-)

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Where did you get info that the GP has a replacement scheduled for the

06-07 timeframe? Any details?

Scott

Reply to
Scott Zabolotzky

I don't remember exactly where, but either on Car & Driver or on Automobile or in a web site. Sorry, I don't really remember where.

Reply to
Neo

Thats partialy true about phasing out the 3.8 in a few years, but the actual fact is that all gasoline engines will be phased out in about 5 to 10 years. It is to be replaced by a new technological engine that will run on orange juice.

Reply to
Billy Boy Blue

It is to be replaced by a new technological engine that will run on orange juice.

God, I hope not.

Reply to
Mike