Why won't my baby start?

So I ran out of gas...so I out some more in, and then my car wouldn't start. I did what the manual said and held down the gas pedal so I wouldn't flood the engine. The thing still wouldn't start. Worse is that every time I try the car goes completely dead, quicker and quicker each time. Now I could need a new battery, I've had the car for 3 years and it has the original battery. No dummy lights came on to say I needed a battery or oil or anything (other than gas which I completely ignored till to late. So anyways what should I do...anyone have any clues? Thanks if you do!

-NazRab

Reply to
NazRab

Usually you should tell make of car, engine, year miles ect so people can help you better.

In this case it should be pretty simple. The battery should be ok just needs a charge.

I am told that the fuel pump can be damaged when the tank is run dry. Can you hear it run when the key is first turned on? It should run for a few seconds to build up pressure. Are you sure that you ran out of gas? some thing could have failed and it is coincidental that your tank was low.

It should not be necessary to hold the pedal down to start in this case. Doing so is known as "Clear Flood" mode.

So, charge the battery, listen for the fuel pump, crank the engine with the gas pedal up.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

If you let it run out of gas you could have picked up some floating debris from the bottom of the tank that clogged your filter.

Reply to
Johnny Action