Wierd problem!!

For a long time my 94 Pontiac G Prix was misfiring when I got up to around

80 km/hr going up a hill. No one seemed to have a solution. The only way to stop the bucking was to ease off the peddle and give it some gas so it down-shifted. Whenever it reached 80 it would start again.

I decided it was time to change the plugs and discovered the cause. One of the plugs wasn't seated - it was loose! What was happening, it appears, was that when the pressure reached a certain level I must have been getting a bit of blow-by. At least that's my theory, because after I changed the plugs (which were in reasonably good shape) the problem disappeared.

Ya never know!!

Keith P.

Reply to
Woody

OT, but once I had a Ford that would accelerate by itself while sitting still! It would take off and squeal the tires! Turned out a motor mount was broken. The car had a rod from the pedal to the carb instead of a cable. So when the engine tilted it pulled the throtlle.

Gary

Reply to
GARY

Be thankful you caught it when you did - if that plug had've popped out while the car was running chances are it would have torn the thread and you would be up for a new head.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson

For further reference, they have spark plug hole thread fixers for less than $10. Never used 'em, but heard they worked pretty decent.

Reply to
Baudolino