Worn Spline on Wiper Arm, Stripped Mostly

Threaded View

Shaft seems okay. Is there a fix for a worn spline on a Trico wiper
arm for Pontiac? Looks like the arm part is cast.
I suspect electrical tape or duct tape isn't the way to go. Anybody
try copper / brass pipe insert?
Don't want to buy a new arm for an old car if I don't have to.

Re: Worn Spline on Wiper Arm, Stripped Mostly

How about epoxy?

Re: Worn Spline on Wiper Arm, Stripped Mostly

A trip to the wrecking yard is likely to be your best fix.

Re: Worn Spline on Wiper Arm, Stripped Mostly

is this the kind that tightens down with a nut?  If so, I have had good
luck in the past simply cleaning out the stripped metal from the splines
in the shaft with a pocketknife and wire toothbrush and reinstalling.
VW uses these as well and have the same problem.

If they are the traditional American type you're probably stuck getting
another arm.

good luck

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Re: Worn Spline on Wiper Arm, Stripped Mostly

No, it doesn't have the nut on top. Pushes on with a neet locking
clip. Surprised the clip still works. No rust. I guess I'm looking for
a trip to the wreckers only there's nothing pre 1995 in the yards
around here. Mine's older. Epoxy might be something. Somebody else
mentioned drilling a hole through it and the shaft head and putting a
shear pin in. Probably just mess up the shaft trying something like that.
Thanks for the ideas.

Re: Worn Spline on Wiper Arm, Stripped Mostly

There are a lot of old cars here in the American south, in the wrecking
yards.  Could be that your model shares arms with a lot of other GM cars.
Maybe even later model ones.  The wrecking yard folks can probably
steer you in a reasonable direction.

Re: Worn Spline on Wiper Arm, Stripped Mostly

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 20:25:13 -0500, Erness Wild

A new arm will avoid stripping the shaft.  Besides that, in my
experience arm spring tension decreases with age.
A new arm will wipe better.  If it's any good.
This is especially important in knocking down salt streaking.
Seem to remember an arm costing about 20 bucks last time I bought one.
Aftermarket, with blade.  Nothing was stripped, but even with new
blades the old arm had lost tension and wasn't pressing the blade
against the windshield hard enough.

--Vic

Re: Worn Spline on Wiper Arm, Stripped Mostly

Well if it's the casting itself about the only reliable fix is a
new/used arm. What model is it? Many of them interchange.
Where are you located?

You could try using some thick foil and see if it holds.

--
Steve W.

Re: Worn Spline on Wiper Arm, Stripped Mostly

Canada. All of the older cars here, have since long gone to the mini
steel mills. You still have ancient old car graveyards? You're lucky.
I had a further look at the wiper arm connection and there appears to
be a groove like you would find in a lawn mower, for a shear pin. I
guess the only way to check that out would be to pull the other wiper
arm off and have a look. I'm curious.
Thick foil? Na. I'm sure there's great force put on the post to turn
the wiper arm. I'm also sure the part store guys will be having a good
laugh at any attempt to fix it that way. Don't forget it's in the best
interests of the manufacturers to make parts that have to be replaced.
And it's always the challenge of the consumer to try and figure out
out to make something last twice as long. And on goes the battle.

Re: Worn Spline on Wiper Arm, Stripped Mostly

(I'm adding to my own post),
I succeeded in repairing the old wiper arm.
The fix was easier than I thought. Thanks for all
the advise.

A website is a place, where, when you go there, it does everything
possible to distract you, from finding the information you came there
Re: Worn Spline on Wiper Arm, Stripped Mostly

What did you finally do? Epoxy?

Re: Worn Spline on Wiper Arm, Stripped Mostly

Ha, no. I might want to get it off later. I had a package of those
white twist ties. I cut about an inch off a string of them (six or
seven). Then put those over the stump on the good thread and pressed
the old wiper arm back on. Went on nice and tight. I've used the
wipers twice now in two down-pours. (Fingers crossed).

A website is a place, where, when you go there, it does everything
possible to distract you, from finding the information you came there
Re: Worn Spline on Wiper Arm, Stripped Mostly

Could last a long time.

I just had a failure of the windshield washers in my Dodge full size van.
Those nozzles
are on the wiper arms, and never worked worth a damn.

I trudged down to the Chrysler dealership thinking that I could buy one of
the nozzles
for a couple of bucks, BUT....turns out these are not accessed in the
catalog, and you
have to buy new arms complete with the little plastic shitteauxs for $50 per
side.

I bought a universal kit ($15) at Autozone and mounted the nozzles through
the hood.  Works
better than the originals, and I am freed from the stranglehold of the
manufacturer and the
dealership.

Necessity is the very essence of invention.

Re: Worn Spline on Wiper Arm, Stripped Mostly

Hey, good for you. There is a satisfaction from getting it done right.
I think I used one of their kits when I replace the washer motor.
Still working good two years later.

A website is a place, where, when you go there, it does everything
possible to distract you, from finding the information you came there

Site Timeline