Worn Spline on Wiper Arm, Stripped Mostly

Shaft seems okay. Is there a fix for a worn spline on a Trico wiper arm for Pontiac? Looks like the arm part is cast. I suspect electrical tape or duct tape isn't the way to go. Anybody
try copper / brass pipe insert? Don't want to buy a new arm for an old car if I don't have to.

Erness Wild wrote:

How about epoxy?

A trip to the wrecking yard is likely to be your best fix.

Erness Wild wrote:

is this the kind that tightens down with a nut? If so, I have had good luck in the past simply cleaning out the stripped metal from the splines in the shaft with a pocketknife and wire toothbrush and reinstalling. VW uses these as well and have the same problem.
If they are the traditional American type you're probably stuck getting another arm.
good luck
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

No, it doesn't have the nut on top. Pushes on with a neet locking clip. Surprised the clip still works. No rust. I guess I'm looking for a trip to the wreckers only there's nothing pre 1995 in the yards around here. Mine's older. Epoxy might be something. Somebody else mentioned drilling a hole through it and the shaft head and putting a shear pin in. Probably just mess up the shaft trying something like that. Thanks for the ideas.
Nate Nagel wrote:

There are a lot of old cars here in the American south, in the wrecking yards. Could be that your model shares arms with a lot of other GM cars. Maybe even later model ones. The wrecking yard folks can probably steer you in a reasonable direction.

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 20:25:13 -0500, Erness Wild

A new arm will avoid stripping the shaft. Besides that, in my experience arm spring tension decreases with age. A new arm will wipe better. If it's any good. This is especially important in knocking down salt streaking. Seem to remember an arm costing about 20 bucks last time I bought one. Aftermarket, with blade. Nothing was stripped, but even with new blades the old arm had lost tension and wasn't pressing the blade against the windshield hard enough.
--Vic

Erness Wild wrote:

Well if it's the casting itself about the only reliable fix is a new/used arm. What model is it? Many of them interchange. Where are you located?
You could try using some thick foil and see if it holds.
--
Steve W.

Canada. All of the older cars here, have since long gone to the mini steel mills. You still have ancient old car graveyards? You're lucky. I had a further look at the wiper arm connection and there appears to be a groove like you would find in a lawn mower, for a shear pin. I guess the only way to check that out would be to pull the other wiper arm off and have a look. I'm curious. Thick foil? Na. I'm sure there's great force put on the post to turn the wiper arm. I'm also sure the part store guys will be having a good laugh at any attempt to fix it that way. Don't forget it's in the best interests of the manufacturers to make parts that have to be replaced. And it's always the challenge of the consumer to try and figure out out to make something last twice as long. And on goes the battle.
Steve W. wrote:

(I'm adding to my own post), I succeeded in repairing the old wiper arm. The fix was easier than I thought. Thanks for all the advise.
Erness Wild wrote:

--
A website is a place, where, when you go there, it does everything
possible to distract you, from finding the information you came there

What did you finally do? Epoxy?

Ha, no. I might want to get it off later. I had a package of those white twist ties. I cut about an inch off a string of them (six or seven). Then put those over the stump on the good thread and pressed the old wiper arm back on. Went on nice and tight. I've used the wipers twice now in two down-pours. (Fingers crossed).
HLS wrote:

--
A website is a place, where, when you go there, it does everything
possible to distract you, from finding the information you came there

Could last a long time.
I just had a failure of the windshield washers in my Dodge full size van. Those nozzles are on the wiper arms, and never worked worth a damn.
I trudged down to the Chrysler dealership thinking that I could buy one of the nozzles for a couple of bucks, BUT....turns out these are not accessed in the catalog, and you have to buy new arms complete with the little plastic shitteauxs for $50 per side.
I bought a universal kit ($15) at Autozone and mounted the nozzles through the hood. Works better than the originals, and I am freed from the stranglehold of the manufacturer and the dealership.
Necessity is the very essence of invention.

Hey, good for you. There is a satisfaction from getting it done right. I think I used one of their kits when I replace the washer motor. Still working good two years later.