1970 911 Battery Help

Hello,

I am new to the group and fairly new to the Porsche world. I have a

1970 911E Sportomatic that I inherited a few years ago. The car sat and sat for years (40K original miles) and I put a few bucks into it to get it going...then we had kids. [Insert violin music]

Well, every day the car calls my name and asks me to drive it. I need to get batteries for the car because they are long gone and won't hold a charge anymore.

Here is the question: I found a local Interstate dealer that sells the U911-50's for $77 a piece. Since I'm on a budget, I want to know if there is a suitable Diehard (or Walmart) replacement that I could use just to get this thing running? Right now, I DON'T CARE if it fits in the battery box, I can rig something up to strap it down. I just want TO DRIVE THIS THING!!

If there is a replacement, do I still need TWO batteries? Will one do? If ONE battery will work, will it have to be more than 300 CCA? If I use one battery, what do you do with the other cables that AREN'T connected?

Remember: Asthetics don't count. I just want to drive it.

Please respond to my email below. ALL information will be appreciated. Please be specific about replacements (CCA, part number, etc.)...I'm half idiot.

Thanks,

Bradley

trade14u @ hotmail . com

Reply to
Bradley

I have seen some batteries in the smuglers box. I think it is big enough to fit a large battery. The smuglers box is in the front trunk, under the carpet

3/4 the way up the left side.

Good luck

Chris

73 911 E