1984 944 Fuel Pump

G?gay,

I have a question about the 944 FUEL PUMP.

I own a 1984 944 and recently the electric fuel pump failed. I ordered a replacement but, was curious about how the pump actually worked and why if failed, so I carefully took the old one apart. I found the reason it quit working, the commutator was scored and the brushes had lots of groves. I carefully cleaned the brushes and polished the commutator, then re-assembled the motor but left it out of the outer casing; the motor worked fine, very smooth and was reitively quiet. However, taking a good close look at the assembly to determine just how it worked, I have to assume, when the pump is correctly assembled , fuel engulfs the entire motor, to include the brushes, to get fuel from the pump end to the outlet, is that correct? I also assume, the fuel that surrounds the inner workings of the fuel pump also acts as a sound deadener, is that correct?

This exercise was not done to repair the pump just find out how it worked. Thx for taking the time to read this. Cheers

Bob

Reply to
Gliders1

The fuel ultimately acts as the lubricant for the pump, this is why it is important to not leave the ignition on if the tank is dry. Paul

Reply to
Paul Elliot