1998 pass airbag disable?

I'd like to disable the passenger-side airbag on a 98 boxster. I've heard about a recepticle for a seatbelt-like tongue from the factory child seat, however, I did not see such a receptacle under the seat. I did see a two-pin electrical connector under the seat. If anyone has information on this, I'd appreciate hearing it.

thanks

Reply to
frank

I cannot speak specifically for the '98; however, I can speak for both 2001 Boxsters and 996 Carreras:

There is a "kit" available from Porsche that provides a metal bar and a special "seat belt" receptacle and a cable that plugs into the airbag system under the seat. The kit really needs to be installed by either a dealer or a very experienced independent shop that can access the internal system and activate the appropriate software.

Here's a link to Porsche's site, with a photo showing the "kit". This is for a 2001:

Now for the "more fun" part: The belt receptacle requires a special male tongue that is ONLY available on Porsche supplied infant and child seats. Needless to say...these are expensive, unless you can find one on ebay.

In my case, I not only wanted to deactivate the air bag for my grandchildren, but also for my almost 5' tall wife. I did purchase one of their seats, and simply made an outline of the buckle tongue on the seat...and made a couple of copies using some scrap lexan I had handy. A little sawing and filing and I had what I needed. So...one just slides the "copy" into the belt receptacle that's just under the front of the seat...and the airbag system is disabled (the airbag warning light on the dash blinks for @ 1 min after starting the car to alert you that the passenger airbag is disabled.)

So...check with a dealer to insure that the same procedure works for a '98, get the disable kit, and if you don't want to go for a Porsche car seat, let me know and I suspect that we might be able to find you a drawing of the belt tongue you need to fabricate. You can reach me via info at adpro1 dot com (properly formatted for e-mail....of course).

Hope this info helps.

Reply to
Guru