2000 Boxster Engine Noise

Picked up a used 2000 Boxster a while back. Great car, it has 23K on it. Only problem is the engine makes a valve lifter ticking noise when started for about 3 seconds until the oil pressure comes up. Seems to go away almost completely but you can still here the occasional tick at idle. Anyone else hear anything like this on startup? Thought about taking it in but it seems like the only possible fix would be an engine rebuild? Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

I had a 2001 Boxster S and now have a 2001 Carrera Cab and I have heard the valve lifter noise during start up, but it hasn't caught my attention at idle. Seems to me I asked the service advisor at the local dealership and one of the independent shop owners I know and they both said that at start up it's pretty normal. I'll turn off the A/C and radio in the next few days and listen to the idle after the engine is warm.

Reply to
Weekend Guru

"Chris" wrote

Our 2000 sounds about the same - a little noise at startup. Haven't noticed anything at idle.

The main problem with these - even after they fixed problems with earlier 2.5L '97-'99 engines - is oil leaks. Make sure you don't have any: ours had a hose fitting, and a rear main seal repaired under warranty, no problems since.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

Reply to