2005 Carrera Rotors and Calipers

My father has a stock 2005 Carrera that is less than six months old and only has about 4k miles on it. It is a daily driver although it does not see much rain.

I was looking at the car over the weekend and I noticed that the rotors showed a large amount of rust. Also the calipers looked rather pitted. Is this common?

The reason I ask is that the car was besides two other family cars, one American and one Japanese, neither of which showed signs of rust or wear. Both cars are slightly older, driven in the same region and under the same conditions.

Thanks for your thoughts.....

JJP

Reply to
fpbd

I have a 2002 Carrera with almost 25K miles. My discs show rust every time I wash the car and put it back into the garage without driving it enough to use the brakes a bit. The rust is really quite insignificant - more of a sheen than anything else and it comes off immediately the first time I use the brakes. I'm betting your brakes got moisture on them and the car hasn't been driven since it happened.

My calipers don't seem to be pitted, so you probably want to bring your concerns in this regard to your dealer.

A good info source is

They have forums devoted to specific Porsche models and also tech issues...........

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Hi

I work in the Porsche network in the UK and as I understand it, the level of carbon in the steel is higher in order to provide better braking performance. As the Carrera is essentially a sports car, the designers have to take into account that the car may be used on the race track.

All I can suggest is that you use the car more and refer to the handbook. This details how you can protect the rotors if the car is parked for a couple of weeks or so.

The calipers can become pitted if you use the car on roads where there is a lot of loose gravel for instance. The braking system sucks air in through the alloy wheels and this brings with it any road debris that may be about.

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Reply to
splutch34