3.2L stalls when cold

Hi

I have a 3.2L motor in a 1979 SC. When cold, the engine stalls when you take your foot off of the accelerator, for example when you pull up at traffic lights. Once reached normal operating temp everything is fine.

Is there a common fault, like warm up regulator or temperature sensor that could be considered the problem?

Cheers

David J

Reply to
David J

hello , i believe that the sc's have a " cold start switch " which is located on the left side of the engine up against the fire wall . dick

Reply to
D.

If you kept the original CIS injection when you installed the 3.2 engine (a

3.0 is standard), then there is a warm up regulator and it may well be the culprit. If...when the 3.2 engine was installed, they used the newer Bosch DME system, the problem could be several things.

I'm betting you've still got the CIS system...so you can "guess" and buy the part, or you can go to a good independent shop and let them test it.

Your $$$, your choice.

Good luck...

Reply to
Guru

Hi

Thanks for the feedback.

The 3.2L is a complete transplant including the DME fuel injection system from a 1985 Carerra.

Sooo, the fault I am chasing is going to present in any 1984 - 86 Carerra.

At a guess I thought it would be a temperature sender or warm up regulator. When cold it starts fine and idols at about 1100rpm. Just doesn't want to sustain idol when you drive or 'blip' the throttle before it is well and truly at operating temperature.

Before spending dollars and time I thought I would ask the cast of thousands on this news group to see if the fault was common.

Reply to
David J