80's 911 third brake light

Hi, I've looked and can't find any facts on how some

911's have an internal, upper window light and others seem to have an after-market ET-looking one off the rear deck. Weren't all US 911's required to have one and would have the internal one because the factory put them there?
Reply to
Kyle Tucker

I owned an early production 1987 911 (Granite & Linen), with the ET stalk. Here's what I remember.

For part of '86 and '87 the center mounted brake light was on the bottom of the rear window.

Because it was on the bottom, when A FACTORY INSTALLED whale tail was added, the tail's rubber lip obscured part of the light and didn't meet the safety regs. As a result, the factory mounted tails had the 'ET" stalk. from the cabs.

In early '87 the bottom light continued --- but soon after the start of production Porsche moved the light to the top of the window, and didn't have the problem with the whale tail.

As a result, you'll see the ET stalk on cabs and on coupes with the factory mounted tails (during the production of low light models).

An obscure part of Porsche history to be sure!

Mat

'87 911 Granite & Linen '96 911C4 Arena Red & Blue Belt*

Another obscure piece of history --- interior option was blue above belt line, gray below belt line.

Reply to
Mat 911