86 porsche 911 advice

I would like to hear of any known problems with the 1986 Porsche 911 targa (besides leakage from the top). Having never purchased a 911 before, I really don't know what I am getting into...any advice, concerns or other thoughts about this model (or even 84-87 range)would be much appreciated and would most likely help me make a wiser decision.

Things I would like to know: Estimated gas mileage, frequence of repairs and maintenance, which tires help the car stick best in wet conditions.

If you have purchased an older model 911, please tell me your thoughts.

Thank you.

Reply to
neal

Visit

before you buy this, or any 911. Join the 911 mailing list and you'll find an incredibly helpful bunch of folks. Paid membership is optional, but it's under $20, and easily the best $20 any Porsche owner could spend.

Another great resource is the online forums at Pelican Auto Parts.

DS

Reply to
DS

Neal,

24+ mpg if you go relatively easy on the pedal, 20-22 if you can't get enough of those G's. That's for about 1/2 highway, 1/2 city.

Essentially no repairs in 3 years. Front hood strut eplacement, drilled an oil hole into the case for the air conditioner blower so that I could oil the bearings and get rid of some bearing noise. Oil change once a year ( ~

5,000 miles). Cone air installed this past spring. The cone air probably adds no significant HP but it does rev. much more freely than before.

Right now I have S03's on it. Great grip dry, never been out in the wet and the car shows that.

The targa top doesn't leak ( I do wash the car) if you have good seals and you put it on correctly. 1. Make sure both doors are open when you clap it down. 2. Push the top as far back as you can so that the front seals can seat properly.

I looked at several and bought the best one I could afford even though I felt it was overpriced and more of a show car than I needed. I recommend the same. Old cars have either been taken care of and had the bugs sorted out of them or they are someone elses headache for sale. If you are not experienced enough to tell the difference (few of us are), hire someone who is.

David Redwine Red '86 Targa

Reply to
David Redwine