912 radio replacement

Hello, I have a 1969 912 coupe. The radio does not work, and I would like to replace it. I have a few problems. I do not know how to remove the radio unit from the dashboard. Once I get it off, the rest should be easy. Secondly, if I were to replace the radio, should I replace the amp and speaker as well? Finally, I'm not quite sure how the wiring between the audio system works. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks in advance!

Reply to
packerfan6000

You have to pull the knobs off the radio. There is a special tool, with two short prongs, a hole in the center and a hex head (spanner wrench) that is used to unscrew the two nuts that hold the radio in place. There may also be a screw in the back of the radio, attaching it to a suspended bracket.

After those three items are removed, the radio will come out, but the electrical and antenna wiring will still be attached. The amp is an integral part of the radio; the speaker is in the top of the dash and may or may not need replacing.

See a Blaupunkt shop, if you need further help.

Reply to
Orval Fairbairn

Is it a Becker or a Blau? If it is a Becker, and you want to keep the car "period correct", you may be interested that Becker still repairs older units and offers refurbs. Their website is at

Walt - 86 944 NA w/Becker stereo

Reply to
Walter Spector

Yeah, I'm sure it's a Blaupunkt. Also, if I buy two SMALL new speakers, would the amp in the radio head unit (the one i'm about to buy) be able to power them without an amp? I'm assuming that most radios nowadays have some amplification for my kind of situation. Otherwise, they come with pre-amp outputs for connecting an amplifier. Amps are usually just needed for complex speaker systems with subwoofers and more than 2 speakers though; so I think I could get away with using the amp that's built into the head unit to power the two small speakers. I'll have to replace the speaker because in 1969, only mono sound was out. Now with stereo, I need two speakers. Thanks again in advance!

Reply to
packerfan6000

Next question: Where do you intend to install the speakers? BTW, Blaupunkts in 356 Porsches had two speakers -- the wiring installation instructions told you hoe to do it.

Reply to
Orval Fairbairn

There is a space in the dashboard for the speaker. It is right above the radio head unit. I am SURE that there is only one speaker.

Reply to
packerfan6000