928 torque tube replacement advice sought.

Hello all, I have just begun the process of pulling out my torque tube, and was wondering if anyone had any "hot tips" to make this job easier, or any advice on a sticky point not mentioned in the shop manual. I have the car up in the air, and the exaust off so far. (first day) I noticed that the shop manual instructs me to loosen the top shock mount bolts, then never mentions them again. Stuff like that drives me nuts.

I found this site,

seems pretty good, just wondering if anythingwas not mentioned, that will surprise me. My car is a 1984, BTW.

Thanks for any memories you may care to share.

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

One thing to note is that the car on that site is an automatic. On a manual, if you've got one, the shaft on the front of the torque tube is much shorter.

Check the manual, but I believe the 5spd can be changed without dropping the entire rear suspension and tranny. The transmission will need to come off it's mounts and be supported, but it's just pushed back. Then the front and rear splines will come clear.

Frankly haven't done this myself, but I have had the bellhousing and tranny out at times. I think it should work.

Bernard Farquart wrote:

Reply to
someone

Thanks for the idea, but mine is also an auto.

(They were about half as much as the sticks.)

Reply to
Bernard Farquart