944/928 Swap?

Is it possible, or should I say feasible, to put a 928 engine in a

944? Or is there another engine that is a good swap?
Reply to
Bret Ludwig

No. The 928 engine is too wide and the front clips needs extensive re-work to make it go.

You might consider a 968 engine. That's pricey but fits and flanges up to the engine mounts and tranny.

The there's a chevy 350.

Bret Ludwig wrote:

Reply to
someone

Speaking as someone who has owned 2 V8 coverted Porsches, I STRONGLY reccomend against it. Both were factory built by the conversion company and neither ever worked right. For the money I spent I could have built an incredibly Porsche engine for either car. Don't believe the dollar/HP bit, it just isn't so!

CCC

Reply to
<cccentral

_Which_ conversion company? I've read good things about one, but if you have different experiences, it'd be nice to hear.

And what didn't work right?

Reply to
alordofchaos

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

The one in Las Vegas. Both cars never cooled correctly, the A/C never worked, the parts used were VERY low buck, the brackets rusted, the hard parts cracked, and the parts were just junk. We learned later that this company had new owners, but I don't know if that made a difference. We heard a LOT of positive stuff, but when we tried to find a consistant working car later..... well, it was like looking for a Unicorn.

For instance we had problems with the starter on one car. We took it in to the starter shop and they said "Well, that's what you get for buying a 49.00 piece of taiwan junk." When we told them we paid nearly 300.00 for it, the said they hoped we got a cigarette afterwards.

Bottom line, apparently Rod Simpson has made this conversion work but I have NEVER seen proof that it will work over the long term. Every car I see is "almost finished" or "just trying to work some bugs out".

We ended up spending 25,000.00 on the initial conversion and another 15,000.00 trying to get it to work right. Think of the 911 powerplant you could build for the intial 25k!

CCc

Reply to
Collector Car Central

the parts used were VERY low buck, the brackets

later that this company had new owners, but I don't know if that

find a consistant working car later..... well, it was like

the starter shop and they said "Well, that's what you get for

for it, the said they hoped we got a cigarette

NEVER seen proof that it will work over the long

trying to get it to work right. Think of the 911

Reply to
someone

Bottom line, it just doesn't work!

IMHO you will ALWAYS be happier just building a strong Porsche flat 6 rather than trying to make the other one work!

CCC

snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.net wrote in news:J15af.3311$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Reply to
Collector Car Central