944 Daily driver

Hi, i am thinking of getting a 944 as a daily driver. Are they any good for this? reliable? What year did the oval dash come in as I prefer that? Is there anything I should look for before buying one?

Thanks

Reply to
hannah

That'll do fine as a driver.

Middle of 1985 for the oval dash.

Get ma> Hi, i am thinking of getting a 944 as a daily driver. Are they any

Reply to
someone

Reliable as they may be, remember that the newest 944 is now @ 15 years old. Rubber, wiring and sensors age both technically and physically. I wouldn't want to rely on a 15 year old vehicle for every day transportation that was more than an average of 50 miles a day. Oh...and service at a good shop is not inexpensive, unless you can buy the parts and do the labor yourself.

Regards from Texas...

Reply to
Guru

I am currently using an 85.5 944 for back and forth to work. I will admit that while it drives great and never let me down, I am doing regular maintenance including my last bit of work for around $1,000 and I think the rubber on the clutch is going. Don't go into an old car unless there is passion for it and you are prepared for the repairs and upkeep.

Regards from Edmonton, AB

Reply to
wiz

Just wait until you see what's involved in changing the clutch. It's a royal pain.

Reply to
Guru

I have a 1989 944 S2 that is my daily driver. It is very reliable from my perspective, but then I am what you would call a shadetree mechanic. I have no fear of taking it on a 100 mile trip. As mentioned, maintenance is very costly if done by the dealer, or any approved repair center. A turbocharged model brings a whole other set of maintenance challanges, I would advise against a turbo unless you simply MUST have that extra power. It is a good idea to have a backup vehicle in case the 944 goes down. I will tell you this, my 944 is the most fun car I have ever owned.

Reply to
Nut that holds the wheel