944 oil use

Is it normal for a 1986 non turbo 944 to burn 1/2 - 1 quarter of synthetic oil over a period of 5,000 miles?

Reply to
Alan Keen

sorry I meant quart, not quarter.

Reply to
Alan Keen

by the book, "normal" comsumption is "up to 1.5 liter per 1000km, yours falls into the very good category.., mine ran about 1 qt per 2500 miles.

Doug C ('86 NA, 87 Turbo)

Alan Keen wrote:

Reply to
doug

I have a 1983 that I purchased new in Apr 83 and I have never had to add a drop of oil and I have put some hard miles on it. Every Porsche I had before this one did use a little oil. I considered a quart every 1,500 miles normal for a 356. A quart every 2,500 miles normal for a 68 911. A quart every 1,500 miles for a 76 turbo without hard driving.

Reply to
Bill

  • Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr.
  • Newsgroup: alt.autos.porsche.944,alt.autos.porsche
  • From: "Bill"
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 18:27:21 GMT
  • Subj: Re: 944 oil use ======================================================================== ==

B> doug wrote: D>> by the book, "normal" comsumpti B> I have a 1983 that I purchased new in Apr 83 and I have never had to B> add a drop of oil and I have put some hard miles on it. B> Every Porsche I had before this one did use a little oil. I B> considered a quart every 1,500 miles normal for a 356. A quart every B> 2,500 miles normal for a 68 911. A quart every 1,500 miles for a 76 B> turbo without hard driving.

And...just a FYI...My 1987 944 N/A (122K miles) has never used or leaked any oil at all. It's usually my daily driver too.

Reply to
Jack D. Russell, Sr.
  1. a vertical cylinder engine won't emit the "PUFF" of oil at starting that the horizontally opposed engines do
  2. water cooling means more stable temperature, hence tighter bore and ring tolerances, hence better seals particularly at cold temp
  3. the engine is easier to seal than the horizontally ooposed ones, so less leakage
  4. lower overall oil temp, I'd theorize, since oil is not a primary means of cooling the car, hence less evaporation

that said, burning or losing a quart on 5K miles is not an issue. With my

944, which I put 250K miles > > by the book, "normal" comsumption is "up to 1.5 liter per 1000km, yours
Reply to
william_b_noble

Not to be a cynic , but statements like "never used any oil", etc... are meaningless if you follow any sort of oil change cycle....

Assuming that you (or your mechanic) are like the rest of us, and slide a container under the drain plug and let it all drain out, replace the oil filter and then refill with the full 6 qts...

Short of measuring what you drain out (and even then that value will show less coming out then went in) one cannot determine how much oil was consumed.

There is no way to get around it.... EVERY engine will use oil as it burns what was left on the cylinder wall as the piston goes down, and on the valve stems as the valves go up and down etc.. and what oil vapor get cycled into the intake and burned from the crankcase pressure relief syatem...

The only issue is how close the tolerances are to perfect and how good the interface between the sliding surfaces and the oil seals are....

Point is that if you check your oil at each fillup and do not have to add any to stay within the marks, with a 3-5K oil change cycle; then you are doing much better then Porsche notes in their workshop manual. I know what mine was as I did have to add oil between changes.

my 2.5 cents worth.....

DC

Jack D. Russell, Sr. wrote:

Reply to
D Corley

D Corley wrote in news:qS7oc.106$ha7.9346@nntp1- sf.pbi.net:

Except, of course, when you're burning significant amounts of oil, your oil pressure light comes on periodically between services, and half a litre (or so) has to be added.

Reply to
Dave Ryman

  • From: "D Corley"
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:14:59 -0700
  • Subj: Re: 944 oil use ==========================================================================

D> Not to be a cynic , but statements like "never used any oil", etc... D> are meaningless if you follow any sort of oil change cycle....

D> Assuming that you (or your mechanic) are like the rest of us, and D> slide a container under the drain plug and let it all drain out, D> replace the oil filter and then refill with the full 6 qts...

D> Short of measuring what you drain out (and even then that value will D> show less coming out then went in) one cannot determine how much oil D> was consumed.

D> There is no way to get around it.... EVERY engine will use oil as it D> burns what was left on the cylinder wall as the piston goes down, D> and on the valve stems as the valves go up and down etc.. and what D> oil vapor get cycled into the intake and burned from the crankcase D> pressure relief syatem...

D> The only issue is how close the tolerances are to perfect and how D> good the interface between the sliding surfaces and the oil seals D> are....

D> Point is that if you check your oil at each fillup and do not have D> to add any to stay within the marks, with a 3-5K oil change cycle; D> then you are doing much better then Porsche notes in their workshop D> manual. I know what mine was as I did have to add oil between D> changes.

D> my 2.5 cents worth.....

D> DC

  • Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr.

  • Newsgroup: alt.autos.porsche.944,alt.autos.porsche
FL>> * From: "Bill" FL>> * Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 18:27:21 GMT FL>> * Subj: Re: 944 oil use FL>> ================================================================== FL>> == FL>> FL>> And...just a FYI...My 1987 944 N/A (122K miles) has never used or FL>> leaked any oil at all. It's usually my daily driver too.

All I can say in reply is... My oil level between changes (3K) doesn't change or vary from the top mark...ever. There are no leaks visible (seals done with each timing belt change) and my oil pressure is, and always has been good. Now use Castrol 10w40, high mileage formulation. I've used Castrol 10w40 since I bought the car. I also have been adding a bottle of Prolong® engine treatment every year since it came out. To me...that means my car doesn't leak or burn any oil at all. It does use oil for it's intended purpose. (Lubrication/cooling/cleaning). ;) That better?

Reply to
Jack D. Russell, Sr.

Seems to me it is normal to burn a quart in ONE thousand miles. My 924S (same engine) has done so since it was about three years old (at least it SEEMS like that long), and continues to run like a dream. John Rankin

Reply to
John Rankin