968 of 1992

Been scouting around for a cheap and affordable old Porsche, thus the seemingly repetitive kind of posts.

I found a silver-colored 968 in seemingly very good condition and it carries a price tag of USD 9k (lowest price). The odo shows 60k miles but I suspect it's more than that; it's a 14-yr old car, after all.

Questions:

  1. General impressions of the 968
  2. Is the price reasonable?
  3. Someone told me that the 968 isn't a real Porsche and might carry a Volkswagen engine! I found that stunning. How much truth to that?

All help welcome thanks.

Ramapriya [in Dubai]

Reply to
D Ramapriya

A 968 is the final incarnation of the 944 chassis and engine. As I recall, it's a 3.0 L 4 cylinder, which is a Porsche built engine...essentially 1/2 of the 928's V8.

If you like the styling, they could be very nice cars to drive; however, as with any pre-owned purchase, especially Porsches, you'll want to have an experienced mechanic/technician inspect the car before agreeing to any purchase price. That inspection could mean the difference between a good buy and an expensive "money pit"...where lots of parts and labor are required to repair existing problems.

Who knows, the 60K miles might be right as some folks don't drive their Porsches except on weekends, special occasions, etc. If that's right, and the car has had regular maintenance (ask for the records), then it might be a good deal.

Good luck...and regards from Texas

Reply to
Guru

60K miles on a 14 year old car is very possible. My car is 13 years old and just turned 40K miles last week. I've had company cars in the past and now I have a different car that I take to work.
Reply to
!bystander

To find out all about 968's go to

ignore the fact that the webpage is out of date, but proceed to the discussion forum which is quite lively. There are several things that you may need to know about 968's, so read the 'Buyers guide' posts. For instance the manual cars can have problem with pinion bearings, see:
full details. Regards, Martin

968 Cab owner since 1995
Reply to
Martin²