Abuse?

Porsche owners: Is it common to experience unnecessary police harassment? I got pulled over yesterday in my 944 for going 62 in a 55, while I was in the middle lane and people were barreling by me in the left lane. When I mentioned this to the officer his reply was something to the effect of "I know you Porsches drives drive like maniacs, and I intend to slow you down anyway I can". I was absolutely left dumbfounded by the stupidity of that statement that I couldn't even find a word to describe it. Has anyone else experienced something like this, or been targeted because of driving a Porsche?

Reply to
TM

I have a couple of things to add:

My wife took my old 944 to work about 13 years ago and she, along with 5 or

6 other people ran one of those red arrow lights. She was the only one pulled over. When she asked how come the others weren't being cited the response was..."They aren't driving red Porsches"
Reply to
Devils944S2

ABSOLUTELY ! it's envy .

( 911 turbo ) woody

i once had a state police trooper tell me that my vehicle looked like it was going 90 mph. standing still !!!! he let me go !

Reply to
woody

My car is Guards Red and kind of sticks out. I got stopped by a cop with a radar. I was doing 95 in a 55 zone. He let me go without a warning. Another time I was stopped at a stationary radar trap doing 85. I told the cop I was late getting to the airport to get my daughter on a plane. He told me to hurry along.

When I am not driving a Porsche, I seem to collect tickets.

Reply to
Pantheras

No_rbuoncri snipped-for-privacy@ucla.edu (eliminate No_ _Spam_ for replys)

Reply to
Rbuoncri

I have had my 928 for a year and a half, and have yet to have a chat with "the man" while driving it. I got SIX tickets in three months while I had a 73 camaro which I drove about the same way. The difference? The 928 is "platin metallic" (champagne) the camaro was bright yellow. Plus I was 22 or so when I got the tickets, now I am near 40. I am ended up selling the camaro, cause I couldn't afford the tickets.

So, you need to paint the car brown, and wear an "old man" hat while driving.

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

It happens, but it's many times based on color and driver age than marque. Speed yellow, guards red and signal orange are an invitation to trouble. There's a reason the military tends to paint the noses and tails of plains reflective orange.

Also, when they do stop you, and find that the driver is a calm, middle-aged chap, vs. a teenager or 20 something, they're more apt to forgive the incident.

So...the moral is..a hip Gen-Xer driving a speed yellow Boxster 75 down the tollway is a lot more apt to be pulled over and ticketed than a mid-50's greybeard, driving a platinum, spec edition Boxster 90 down the same road.

Reply to
Weekend Guru

Hasn't happened to me, but I've only had the Porsche since December

2001. I've only been stopped three times since 1972, all in the 240Z: 1 ticket (red light), 2 warnings (speed).
Reply to
Jim Keenan

I got pulled over by a small town country cop while driving in Northern Minnesota, I was doing 68 in a 55 which I thought was bullshit because all the locals in their ford trucks the size of jumbo jets had just been blowing by me. He ended up being a nice guy, just gave me a warning and told me "I didn't realize how old this thing was (86 944) until I ran it on the computer". I figured he probably pulled me over just to look at the car.

Reply to
Paddington

Geez, of course Porsches are targets.

I got a "careless driving" ticket for a brisk acceleration in the city. Seems there was a "citizen report" of me causing all kinds of problems. The cops pulled me over about an hour after the incident and pretty soon there were three squads. Turns out the "citizen" was a park police dog-watcher and it looked like he called me in to impress his attractive, female ride-along.

The sargent who came was pretty ticked off. Even more so when I caught him fishing with a lie. He barked for the patrol officer to write me up for "reckless driving" but that guy, who was pretty sympathetic, wrote it up for "carelss" which is a lot harder to prove.

So I had to go downtown three time to be >>Porsche owners: Is it common to experience unnecessary police harassment? >

Reply to
someone

  • Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr.
  • Newsgroup: alt.autos.porsche
  • Reply to: All; "TM"
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:08:17 -0500
  • Subj: Abuse? ========================================================================== T> Porsche owners: Is it common to experience unnecessary police T> harassment? I got pulled over yesterday in my 944 for going 62 in T> a 55, while I was in the middle lane and people were barreling by T> me in the left lane. When I mentioned this to the officer his T> reply was something to the effect of "I know you Porsches drives T> drive like maniacs, and I intend to slow you down anyway I can". I T> was absolutely left dumbfounded by the stupidity of that statement T> that I couldn't even find a word to describe it. Has anyone else T> experienced something like this, or been targeted because of T> driving a Porsche?

I've owned several Porsches since 1982. The only target colors were on my 1973

914 (Bright Orange/black decals) and my current 1987 944 (Malven Red). I've only been pulled over once in all of that time, and it was for expired tags (Long story). The 944 is my daily driver too.
Reply to
Jack D. Russell, Sr.

Except for a 5 year period between 1978 and 1983 when I was driving BMW's, I have driven Porsches since 1957 starting with a Speedster. Never had a ticket driving a Porsche. Had lots of warnings.

Reply to
Bill

You don't mention that this is a common occurence for you either. My own expeience is that I have never gotten a ticket in any car after I got rid of my radar detector. They seem to dislike those and will pick you out of the pack if they can see that you have one. I had a BMW pass me up and I got the ticket. The reason as stated by the officer? I had a radar detector. There is no law against that in my state but he sure made it sound like there was. He even said that the Beamer did not have one!

I got rid of it after that and have never had a problem. There was one officer that watched me go by at about 55 in a 35 and although he glared at me, he didn't come after me. He was probably looking to see if I had a radar detector.

1973 914 (Bright Orange/black decals) and my current 1987 944 (Malven Red). I've only been pulled over once in all of that time, and it was for expired tags (Long story). The 944 is my daily driver too.
Reply to
John Riley
3 years no problem

________________________________________________ Webpage

Adrian AT Playback DOT demon.co.uk SPAM, What SPAM ? Anti-SPAM software in use "SPAM-BUSTER"

"Do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

------------ Looking to talk to a decent group of people who are mad about Porsches But who are not anoraks. Whether you're a Porsche Virgin or a seasoned veteran.

Pop on over to "Not Just Porsche" E-group

Post message: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com Subscribe: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Adrian Jaye

Snip

Snip

Do you think any type of brown paint from home-depot would be ok........?

And...

Would you recommend a deer-stalker type hat or perhaps a trilby?

:o)

Reply to
MC

Well that is what I wear, but I painted my Porsche green so it could hide in the grass.

If you want to troll this group you should learn the porcupine joke.

Reply to
Bill

I have to ask.

What is the porcupine joke?

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

What's the difference between a porcupine and a Porsche?

A porcupine has its pricks on the outside.

Reply to
Bill

Oh yes, that's lovely.

thank you, I had to ask.