Are early 996's a good value right now?

I have noticed that 1999ish 996s are selling for less than 993s (at least locally). Makes me think these are sleepers.

Any reason to avoid a 1999 996 as a weekend driver? I know there were some issues, but I imagine by now everything has been sorted out.

I see people claiming about $2500/yr in maintenance costs - Does that sound about right? (couldn't be worse than my 83 928S :D )

Interestingly, consumer reports has some reliability data on 97-06

911s. The 97 993 had a near perfect reliability score. The 99 wasn't as good, but still doesn't look too bad. No link - you need a subscription. Sadly, 993s are creeping out of my price range.

TIA.

Reply to
Noobs are people too

As always it depends on the milage. And with Porsches, it depends on how much time it's spent over 100mph.

Reply to
Mata Hari

Makes me think that 993s are all round better cars.

Reply to
johnty

All new model cars have issues which tend to lower they're perceived value. The 996 was a *very* new car for Porsche. I understand that Porsche improved 996 reliability after a couple of years, but I don't know all the details

The 993 is borne from a long history of air-cooled cars. I (and many others) believe it to be the best looking iteration of the 911. I'm still contemplating the 997.

Reply to
The Dead Senator

Isn't 993/996 the break point where they moved from building cars to a standard then working out how much it costs, to building cars to a price and seeing what kind of standard they could manage?

Complete agreement.

Reply to
johnty