Battery?

I drive my 2001 996 Carrera about 2,000 miles per year, all short haul, in-town driving, about twice a week.

The battery is three years old. When I turn on the ignition, before cranking, the voltmeter shows 11 volts. The cranking is not sluggish, but not sprightly either. Do I need to worry about the 11 volt reading? Is there a recommended trickle charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter receptacle I should be using? Or is the batter just on its last legs, needing replacement?

Thanks,

Mike Nashville, TN

Reply to
Mike Morgan

You could replace this battery but the best trick is mounting your Porsche's battery on another car when not in use.

Batteries need recharging and discharging every day with use so cigarette adapter are useless.

Reply to
Piernicola Comuniello

There are a number of small, microprocessor controlled, trickle chargers, which actually work pretty well...even though driving the car regularly is best. I have used a couple of these with good results. One, mounted to the side of the battery, with an standard AC power cord that merely needed an extension cord. Some others work through the cigarette lighter, including one from Porsche.

Having owned a number of "garage queens", I have a new philosophy: Don't own it if you aren't driving it regularly. Hence, my '06 Carrera S is my "daily driver".

Guru

I used to go through batteries at the rate of one a year, mostly because the car is not driven a lot. I finally wised up and put a battery tender on it -- stays on the car all winter. Haven't had to replace the battery since.

Reply to
Sheldon

That is very bad for the engine, because that means the distances you go at once are way too short to get the oil temperature up.

You should use your 911 on a daily basis and you should be aware that the battery needs at least 15 to 20 km after starting the engine to recharge completley. If your distances are always shorter then you don't have to wonder why your batteries don't get old...

Reply to
Claus v. Wolfhausen