Best perfomance upgrade to 996 Cabriolet

Ok... I have been driving my 2001 996 Cabriolet for a few months now (and loving every second) and I have been looking at different performace upgrades.

I was hoping to get some feedback from everyone... what would be the first performace upgrade you would do to this car??

Thanks!

Derek

Reply to
derekgehl

wrote

A high performance driving class. Bondurant, etc.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

I could not agree more... already signed up for one of those :-)

Reply to
derekgehl

buy a new Chev Z-06. 500+HP, low maint costs, and awesome performance.

Reply to
robrjt

And that legendary Chjevrolet POS build quality.............

Reply to
Jim Keenan

? not according to R&T, , C&D, CR, any auto review. 0-60 in 3.4. 0-100 in 7.8, 0-150 in 17.9. 16/26 mpg! over 1g skidpad, with runflats!!. No oil drips or seal or cylinder liner disasters expected...prob is they are going for $20-30k over sticker. I'll have to wait a year or two...

Reply to
robrjt

The car has a 7 liter motor - it should be fast. But to keep it light they dispensed with soundproofing, and those high g numbers are the product of a suspension that might be fun on a track, but beats you up in the real world. The last Z06 ride would knock your fillings out, and this one isn't any better. If all you plan to do is tow the car to a track, great. Want to take it on a trip - no thanks.

But kudos to Chevrolet for bringing back a displacement first made popular by Ford. The LS7 specs out at 427.7 or .8, which makes it a 428.

No oil drips or seal or cylinder liner disasters

The important word is expected.

A few years ago Chevrolet was hammering the ad trail with the Corvette being the #1 ranked sports car in the JD Power initial quality survey (Porsche was #2). Then the long term (3 year) survey came out and Chevrolet fell off the map.

My family has had Chevrolets on two occasions - they were junk and we'll never have another.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

....but, it's a chevy - it's american.....it ain't exotic as a german porsche

Reply to
Lawrence

To keep it light, its got an aluminum frame (water formed) and carbon fiber body parts, and magnesium engine cradle. Last Z06 I drove was stiff, not uncomfortable at all, and it is a sports car, not a GT.

Reply to
robrjt