Best Porsche for $10k?

What do you think.? You could only spend up to $10k and were only going to use the car for fun, what Porsche would you buy, let's assume the car has to be in above average/good condition? I know there's more to it, but play along I'd like to see what people think.

My vote would go to a well maintained, higher mileage 88-89 944 turbo.

Ken

Reply to
KAP

One of the VW variety. Or of the Audi flavour.

924/ 944 yep, you hit it on the head. But take this to the correct Audi or VW group as they're not Porsches.
Reply to
BE-UK

Yes, a 951 or a 911 SC.

My .02

DS

Reply to
The Dead Senator

Believe it or not Carrera Targa's in good condition can be had for that price. What amazing fun it is to drive one of these cars on a winding two lane highway with the top off on a cool night! That's my vote (but I don't have any experience w/the 924/944/928 varieties).

DMK

84 Targa

KAP wrote:

Reply to
DMK

Really . . . I'll have to look harder, most I've seen are in the $14-18k+ range. I'm looking at a '79 911sc Targa, nice well maintained with over 125k miles and the asking price is $12,500!!!

Ken

Reply to
KAP

I vote for the 951 as well, but I'd also consider a 1974 911 coupe with a documented engine rebuild. These are peppier than the SC due to being lighter and having shorter gearing, but they run cheap because of the rep the 2.7L cars have. The downside would be that they're pre-galvanized, so rust could be an issue. I also think the 924S makes a heck of a bargain - not as popular as the 944S, but the same running gear and engine! Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel Brown

Emanuel...The 924S has the standard N/A engine, but a great choice for under

Reply to
Devils944

The market varies a lot as a function of geography. The midwest seems to have much lower prices than either of the coasts, for example. Smaller cities also tend to be less expensive than larger.

Another tremendous factor in value is accident damage. Any previous accident damage, even if inconsequential, or well repaired, will significantly lower value. A Carrera in otherwise very good condition can be had for ~10k if it's had past damage, or has a bit of rust. Just be very careful and spend the $100 - $150 on a pre-purchase inspection done by an experienced reliable Porsche mechanic so that you know exactly what you're getting.

DMK

KAP wrote:

Reply to
DMK

My experience is exactly the opposite. The cheapest Porsches are found in southern California and Florida. The cheaper the car, the bigger the premium.

Reply to
G Larson

I almost bought a 74 911 about a year ago, really liked the feel of the car, but as it did not have the engine rebuild and already had 75k miles on it and the owner did not think the car was worth less than $11k, I had to pass - for $5k I might have went for it as it was in fantastic condition otherwise.

I've been tooling around with the 944/951 car idea for awhile now, still have not ruled out a good 911sc. As Big Earl said "If all that is important to you is that it say "Porsche" on it . . ." Yeah I think that is part of it, but I also want to like the feel . I'm know there's plenty out there for less than 10K that say BMW, Mazda, Honda, VW and so on, but I've been there and done that . . . It's time for a Porsche !!!

Ken

Reply to
KAP

Ah yes, the "magic of the marque" effect, where someone decides that, based on the badge alone, the car must be worth a fortune. Run into that quite a bit in Rolls-Royce circles as well. People routinely freak when I tell them I bought my Rolls-Royce for $7000. Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel Brown