BMW M3 or Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe

Cough cough... I'm sorry - I was chocking back the laughter...

Ya right...

Deep

Reply to
Deep

Run what you brung. I'm willing to give it a shot against my old, tired American heap of bolts. And I LOVED my Porsches...... I just don't love having people laugh at other people's choice of rides. The Z06 is about the most bang for the buck anyone can buy these days. And my kit car will hold its own against some of Germany's finest, as well.

Don't get me wrong. I dearly love the Porsche 911, and particularly the

993. But short of a Turbo, I think I can hold my own against pretty much anything.
Reply to
Viper

I see nothing worth shooting you over, different strokes for different folks. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

Viper-

I don't believe he was laughing at the Corvette per se...he was laughing at the writers "equals any german in quality" statement. Yes the Corvette is a nice little ride and like a Mustang Cobra, can go real fast, but, quality-wise and driver/synergy-wise it is still years behind. Mis-matched panels, dodgy interior materials and resale value about as good as grandma's Impala make it a great car in the short term, but if the money is available, why not upgrade? Hell, I think the new Z-06 has an identity crisis...Looks like they broke into Dodge and stole the Viper front end! I am sure you could smoke a 1955 550 Spyder also, but, sometimes top end is only a small factor in owning a great car.

Reply to
Devils944S2

If I didn't have a wife & 2 kids I'd go for a 911.

Tony (M3 Conv. being delivered on Friday this week).

Reply to
TonyK

From Mercedes-Benz, rather than a bona-fide shrinking, is presumably what he was thinking.

Reply to
Scott M

I've only seen pictures of the new Corvette, but I thought the same thing. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery......

Reply to
Jim Keenan

The Z06 has a strong engine and is a fast car, but the suspension will knock your fillings loose on anything but a billiard table smooth road. Great fun on the track but you don't want to live with it in the real world. The car lacks even the vestigial rear seat of the 911, so it's strictly a two person conveyance. It's the least practical of the three, and anyone who thinks Corvette quality is on a par with Porsche or BMW needs to loosen their bowtie because it's cutting off the flow of blood to their brain.

The Corvette is the GM flagship, the icon, building for over 50 years and they STILL get criticised for the so-so build quality and materials. Seams don't line up, the rear bumper cap has dimples on the sides, the top of the bumper cap doesn't line up with the rest of the rear deck, bumper paint that's a shade or two off the rest of the car, and interior materials that Car And Driver describe as "Rubbermaid". They've had over

50 years and they still do it half-ass. Chevrolet was bragging a while back about the Corvette finishing first in the JD Power 6 month Initial Quality Survey (Porsche was second). Then the JD Power Long Term (3 year) survey came out and Porsche was first while Corvette fell off the map.

All the Chevrolet folks put great stock in the new Corvette (the C6), but I haven't seen one at any of our local Chevrolet dealers yet and I'm guessing the same for Ron. He's touting a car he hasn't even seen in person as having quality as good or better than a Porsche, but he's got no basis for such a statement. Chevrolet said they were going to fix the Corvette with the C6, but they've been saying the same thing since the car was born. We're still waiting........

Reply to
Jim Keenan

The regular 911 beats the Corvette even if she has (or so they say) more power. in any case I challenge any corvette against my 911 TT any day. Corvette owners are so intimidated by the sight of a TT that I never found one testing their car against mine, they just give the way. The corvette is a lot of value for the car but she look like a pimp-mobile, in any case you are right, Porsche, Ferrari etc are not for everybody if the only thing you can buy is a Corvette, that could be a good choice.

Reply to
Gabri

Reply to
Devils944S2

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Tyler) wrote in news:5e584fa7.0407021151.3b08eef1 @posting.google.com:

Oh to have the dilemma! Your two choices makes it somewhat difficult to compare since it is an apples to oranges comparo. Two seats or four? Stealth or head-turning attention?

I'm somewhat in your same category. For the two seat coupe, I would say it's difficult to beat the price/performance ratio of a Corvette Z06. If you'd like to carry four of your friends, a Lancer Evo, Subaru STi, or the M3 or S4 would be a good choice. Either way, the cost of living with the two German cars would be slightly higher since it's difficult to do your own maintenance.

FYI, I'm going to buy an M3 here and when I get back home to the States, get an Evo. I can have my fun car and then my going to the opera car too! :)

Reply to
Wingman

snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.net wrote in news:VgEFc.24168$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

And they say "bee, emm, vee" for BMW here. :)

Reply to
Wingman

daytripper wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Or they could go in the 7- and 5-series design with the eyebrow lights. Or the Z4 with the goofy shoulder and dove tail. Ewww..

Reply to
Wingman

Didn't take your Midol today?

Reply to
Jess Englewood

The M3 is a great car, but, if I could afford it without hardship (it will cost you a LOT more to own), I'd go for the 911.

Reply to
dizzy

Mercedes-Benz.

Reply to
Jess Englewood

Yes, but the gold chain cost is prohibitive.

Reply to
Jess Englewood

Bad night in the doublewide?

Reply to
Devils944S2

And you're concerned for the reinforcement of the "stupid American stereotype" because to pronunciation!!! HAH ha HA HA ha ha...what a pinhead! So long Hawkings :^)

Reply to
Jess Englewood

A better abbreviation is Merc, but that's not known in Germany :-)

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling