Boxter S is it worth the money? - advice please -can you re-sell?

I've been thinking of grabbing one of the Boxters S's for a while now

- for under £40,000 they sound like a steal with that sort of performance.

The depreciation sounds ridiculous at less than 10% over 3 years - does this mean I will struggle to re-sell?

Has anyone had trouble getting rid of one?

James snipped-for-privacy@maguiresgarage.co.uk

Maguires Garage

All Porsche's are madly overpriced. Jeremy Clarkson says Honda S2000 if as good, if not better, and far cheaper. Yes, the Boxster keeps it's value in % terms, but you your actual £ loss is likely to be less on the Honda. But, if you still have heart set on a Boxster, buy a 2 year old one. Personally I wouldn't, there is not enough leg room for my 6' frame, the seats are too high, no space inside for anything, don't like the looks or the stupid name. I am sticking with my 968 Cab, much better package. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

"Martin²" wrote

no they're not

say no more

plenty room for my 6' 1" frame

duh you can lower them

each to his own

good, hope you get lots of fares

Regards Neil

Reply to
Gripper

Thanks for the reply.

Take a look at our site and tell me what you think of the price for the boxster.

Cheers.

James snipped-for-privacy@maguiresgarage.co.uk

Maguires Garage

From what I've read, the Boxster is a huge cash cow for Porsche, though they don't make as much money on the 911. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

Not quite on the original topic, but there is something about the Boxster S I've wondered. Other than price, what does the Boxster S have over the Cabriolet? I have a Boxster (not an S), and coming from my Corrolla it's got enough pep for me... but what I really like is taking hard corners with it. Can the rear engine Cabriolet do that sort of thing as well? I am not pro driver, yet I feel so much control over my car, it's great. I wonder how much of it is the mid-engine location.

Reply to
Dan Stephenson

YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO TRAWL FOR BUSINESS HERE ! Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

The 964 and 993 (the post 1989 911s) handle great as well; Porsche had pretty much tuned the rear-engine bias into complete controllability by then. However the Boxster will outhandle any 911 but a race-prepped one - the mid-engine placement is superior to any other, which is why it's used on lots of high-end performance cars like Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and the Carrera GT. The next-best arrangement is front-engine rear trans like the 924/944/968 and most BMWs. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

I'm not trawling for business I'm trying to research these cars and find out what a reasonable price is!

I am thinking of getting a boxster myself and want to get as much information as I can.

Thanks for all the response.

James

Reply to
Maguires Garage

Wow, thanks for the info. So my next question is: other than tradition, why are 911's rear engined? As in, is there some kind of geometrical constraint on the size of the engine or how it transmits its power? I mean, I'd love there to be a 3.6 L turbo Boxster with AWD.

Reply to
Dan Stephenson

Jeremy Clarkson is the rag of automotive journalists....he wouldn't say good things about Porsche if you put a gun to his head. In the future, try not to drag out Top Gear as proof of anything important.

I have driven a Boxster S and an S2000.... if Clarkson thinks the Honda is even close to the Boxster, he shouldn't have the job he does.

Reply to
Paddington

Paddington bear growled:

WRONG ! Clarkson loved the GT3 and said Carrera GT was the ultimate supercar and also the finest engineered car ever.

Yes, he also did say Porsche was difficult, uncooperative and arrogant company, which exactly matches my 13 year experience with them.

Top Gear tested the Boxster S, the S2000 and Z4 all together on the Isle of Man, all three presenters preferring different one. So feel free to prefer the Boxster, but you will be paying thousands more for the badge on the nose. (as I did, but won't do again) Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

You must have missed the episode where he destroyed the 911.

Reply to
Paddington

I traded a 2001 Corvette for a 2003 Boxster. Missed the Corvette & felt the Boxster was not what I thought & traded to a 2004 Corvette Z06.

Reply to
Stephen Rabinowitz