Boxter turn signal will not automatically cancel

I just acquired a 2000 Boxter from the local Infinity dealer. The turn signal does not cancel after any degree of turn but does emit some mild scraping/clicking noises. The dealer says that a new "clock spring" is required that costs in excess of $200 plus labor. Can this be true? If I want to investigate this myself how do I safely remove the horn button/airbag assembly?

The Boxer has been around for almost ten years now. Why hasn't someone offered an alternative to the $2000 shelf of service manuals from Porsche?

Reply to
David Muir