Buying a Boxster

Well, I finally got the wife to cave in. Any thoughts opinions about the base model versus the "S"? Any must have's on the option list. As always money will be a factor. Also, how much if any under list price can I negotiate. Thanks for all the help.

Lovs2fly

Reply to
lovs2fly

Let me ask if I may. I've also considered one of these but was put off when I was informed that servicing it yourself - even an oil change - is 'difficult'. Wrenching, I think, would be part of the fun of owning a roadster Consequently I've been thinking 911 of the late 80's vintage for similar or even less money. comments?

cheers, guenter

ps my wife also appears more ready to cave to a boxter compared to a 911 for some reason.

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

"lovs2fly" wrote

My wife is perfectly happy with the plain Boxster (she has a '00). Yeah, the extra power (and standard 6 speed) might be nice, but it's not necessary or IMHO needed - this car exists for top-down motoring and we don't feel any need for maximum speed while driving it.

The wind blocker is a must-have. Heated seats are a must-have. If you two are coffee/coke drinkers, spend the $ on the cup holder, as there is absolutely no place to put one down if you don't have one. The standard lights are pretty good, but Xenon (Litronic) is very nice to have.

We bought ours used, so I don't know anything about pricing of new ones.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

I think the "S" is a lot more fun to drive (more HP, bigger brakes, maybe larger wheels/tires, nicer interior). A low mileage preowned is the best buy. Any year from 2001 on (I think). Heated seats depending upon your climate and yes...the cup holders. If you're into lots of sound, you might well want the upgraded Radio/CD combo with Bose speakers (I think).

Try to get a "certified" car from a dealer...or one that's still got some factory warranty left.

If you want a new one...deals are available...they "ain't" selling like hotcakes these days.

Good hunting!

Reply to
Weekend Guru

If you are coming from a unsporty car you may view the 'base' Boxster as way plenty.

Reply to
Dan Stephenson

why wouldn't they?

Reply to
Dan Stephenson

I am stepping up from the family SUV so this will be getting back to my roots. I have heard that you can not work on the boxster yourself, maybe even an oil change. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks Dennis

Reply to
lovs2fly

"lovs2fly" wrote

Oil changes are easy; but you do have to buy a 7mm (? IIRC) hex key.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Sales are down, is all. The biggest explanation is the weak dollar

- Porsches are more expensive in what's traditionally their biggest market. If it weren't for the Cayenne, Porsche would be in a peck of trouble right now. Hopefully the new models will spark sales... Since clearing out my old Porsches, I've been thinking of a roadster of some sort - Z3, Boxster, S2000, SLK. The Boxster seems to be holding it's value better than any of them - affordability alone has me leaning towards the 2000+ Z3, maybe the last M Roadster (315 hp!). Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

How about the filter?

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

Yes, you will have to buy one of them, as well.

Also some oil.

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

I looked into those three before getting my Boxster.

Z3 - there were only 5 cars in all the state of Texas with a standard transmission, and none were silve/black.

S2000 - the Honda salesman was a dick

SLK - a silver/black with standard transmission was identified... 3 weeks away from shipment.

The Audi TT I drove was nice, but the door sills wer too high and the rearview mirror was tiny. But I don't think there are roadsters of those anymore. It was silver/black.

The Mazda MX5 was pretty nice, considering I was coming from a Corolla, but the seatbelt receptable jammed my hip, and no silver/black!

But now I love my Boxster nonetheless, but would have likes more 'options' for roadsters.

Reply to
Dan Stephenson

Yep, the Z3 has a surprising number of automatics - a little over half. Not as bad as the percentage of SLKs with them, but still surprising.

I like a little more torque than the S2K has to offer. I know owners love the revvy nature of them, but eventually you want to step on the pedal and GO.

I test drove this and while I like the folding hard-top, I wasn't happy with the standard shifter and it's not too nice to look at. Don't get me started on the SLK32 AMG being auto only. :(

I had trouble seeing traffic lights with the top up, and I'm only

6'1". Beautiful interior though, and a nice looking car.

I like the look of the MX5, especially the upcoming version, but they aren't something I can picture myself driving. I'd spend the money on a 914-6...

The Boxster is great looking, drives wonderfully but it's a little down on torque. For the same money as a 2000 Boxster, I could get a

240hp M Roadster from '98 or '99. For the same money as a 250hp Boxster S, I could get a 01 or 02 M Roadster with 315hp. What's looking like a better value for dollar in the Porsche world is the cabrio versions of the 968. The 968 has 236hp at 6100 rpm and 225lb-ft at 4100 rpm, compared to the 2000 Boxster's 217hp at 6100 and 191 at 4500 (even the S at 250hp only has 225 hp torque - at 4500 rpm). And I like how the front of the 968 is reminiscent of the 928 and 993 - 2 of my favorite other Porsches... Emanuel
Reply to
E Brown

IMHO the Z3 is only half the car it should be, the Z4 is more of a competitor to the Boxster.

I have no experience of the S2000 but it looks good though (in the UK at least) doesn't have the Porsche kudos.

The Audi TT is a fine car, not quite up to the Boxster but worth considering none the less.

The MX5 is not in the same league! An excellent and fun car for the price, but not IMO comparable.

It all boils down to what is affordable.

Mark

mark.howard10

C'mon, the first Boxsters were half the car they should have been; Porsche has proven the chassis was capable of much more with their own upgrades over the years. The first Z3's were intended to be upscale Miatas, at which they were quite good, but consumers wanted more power as well for the higher price. I'd say the later Z3 3.0 is a better match for the Boxster, with the M Roadster taking on the Boxster S. The last iteration of the M Roadster, with over 300 hp, takes the game to entirely new level. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown